Recognising a GOOD vocallist???

Ephren Taylor

Im saying that I can recognise when somebody has a good voice, and when one has an amazing voice.. in R&B styleeeebut I cannot in Rock....
This is because your ear's only guage of "good" singing is the purity of tone, high and clear range, etc. You are evaluating all voices with the R&B yardstick. Having a voice isn't only about having big lungs and making fancy runs on syllables. A voice is about identity, character, expression. For example the dry, gravelly voice of Johnny Cash didn't leap around the octaves, but it had expressiveness and soul which these generic polished R&B voices couldn't dream of.
That husky rock voice na mek it really tho if ur talking about levels...
The problem is, you equate the gospel/classic soul/contemporary R&B vocal approach as the objectively "good" type of singing

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im saying that I can recognise when somebody has a good voice, and when one has an amazing voice.. in R&B styleeeebut I cannot in Rock....
This is because your ear's only guage of "good" singing is the purity of tone, high and clear range, etc. You are evaluating all voices with the R&B yardstick. Having a voice isn't only about having big lungs and making fancy runs on syllables. A voice is about identity, character, expression. For example the dry, gravelly voice of Johnny Cash didn't leap around the octaves, but it had expressiveness and soul which these generic polished R&B voices couldn't dream of.
That husky rock voice na mek it really tho if ur talking about levels...
The problem is, you equate the gospel/classic soul/contemporary R&B vocal approach as the objectively "good" type of singing
U make a sick argument....Its simple for me really... when I hear a voice that envokes a reaction, or sends the tingle down my spine..... I rate it highly..I rarely get this with rock singers.... It's no about 'who's technically better' or who covers all the bases/ ticks the boxesIt's about who provokes the most automotive and pleasurable response when I hear a track..Seems to hapen alot more with R&B singers than rock singers...

The simple fact is you don't like rock.Meaning you think their singers are sh*t.It's not really a valid thread.
When did i say I didnt like rock?????Its a valid thread because I class myself as a music lover..Not a rap lover, or r&b lover, but a music lover...I just had a discussion with someone at work, who simply couldnt rate R&b singers, and had no valid reason for it... Just said, he didnt like all the acrobatics...I wanted to try and get a broader understanding of y somebody might think that, and gauge whether im the only person who had the views I did etc... valid points for any thread i'd say..

Lol @ this thread. Get that chick to try sing " I don't wanna miss a thing" and watch her struggle.
You knowCompare this TO THIS Swear i'm not even saying the girls are bad, they 'tried' but it lacked so much emotion.Also I was looking forward to the big finish and was quite disappointed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> simply a higher level of singing than rock singers.....She's an 'amateur' aswell...
The problem is, you equate the gospel/classic soul/contemporary R&B vocal approach (which you'd call "black" singing) as the objectively "good" type of singing - i.e. clean range, rhythm, smooth tone, etc. You assume that this method of conveying emotion and expression, is the "correct" way. You don't catch that other approaches to singing, such as some from the rock continuum, are equivalent in skill and quality. So you don't understand it, and so don't grasp that the best rock vocalists match the best soul vocalists for expression and impact, for character, tone and even soulNow this girl has a nicely clear and sweet voice, and can hit her notes like an outstanding church gospel singer. But to say she is better than EVERY rock singer, from Robert Plant to Stevie Nicks to Jeff Buckley, is frankly, preposterous. and anyway,
Freddie Mercury lock the thread.
smashed itwhy the f*ck is this thread still open

Lol @ this thread. Get that chick to try sing " I don't wanna miss a thing" and watch her struggle.
You knowCompare this TO THIS Swear i'm not even saying the girls are bad, they 'tried' but it lacked so much emotion.Also I was looking forward to the big finish and was quite disappointed.
that attemp to sing it was painfull to listen to