Official Jazz topic

Baroness.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Bump, can someone list a few essential listens... know nothing about jazz apart from that i enjoy it.

Not 100% jazz but I've been listening to the following on rotation for the last few months:

-Gilles Peterson

-Lefto

-Floating Points

-Four Tet

-Caribou

Great varied selection, top 2 mix in more with hiphop+rnb, bottom two mix in more with electronic - all throwing a bit of "world" music.

Here's a set with the bottom 3 https://www.mixcloud.com/NTSRadio/floating-points-four-tet-caribou-23rd-march-2015/

Need to make a mixes/sets thread for these sort of guys.

Not 100% jazz but I've been listening to the following on rotation for the last few months:

-Gilles Peterson

-Lefto

-Floating Points

-Four Tet

-Caribou

Great varied selection, top 2 mix in more with hiphop+rnb, bottom two mix in more with electronic - all throwing a bit of "world" music.

Here's a set with the bottom 3 https://www.mixcloud.com/NTSRadio/floating-points-four-tet-caribou-23rd-march-2015/

Need to make a mixes/sets thread for these sort of guys.

floating points>>>>

posted up a few of his tunes in the rinsing tracks thread

myrtle avenue>>>>>>>

Downloaded  Robert Glasper Experiment -  Black Radio Vol 1 & 2, liking what ive listened to so far.

Downloaded Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio Vol 1 & 2, liking what ive listened to so far.

Love these two tapes

My girl got me into them

I thought they were classed as more neo soul than Jazz?

/

A good starting point for jazz is YouTube mixes, then go to description and follow the tracks you like and take it from there

Robert Glasper is at the forefront of jazz today I guess, still adhering to jazz standards but adding a new gospel, soulful, hip hop flavour. Songs like Afro Blue, FTB, Yet To Find. Black Radio is powerful man.

I've been playing a lot of Pharoah Sanders recently again... (this is a sick website - http://freedom-records.blogspot.co.uk/)I love his free jazz style, his saxaphone playing, the piano compositions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPiGF35BQv0

I'd recommend looking at the Godfathers of jazz ... Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, George Duke, Bill Evans, Charlie Parker, Ahmad Jamal...

I need some new jazz myself too ... gonna check those out, good looking Dub.

Cheers, used my what cd freeleach on a couple Lounge mix cds

• 3 months later...

Hiatus Kaiyote

If you guys aren't listening to these lot, you need to be.

Just saw them live and they were great. Soul/RnB/Jazz type band.

They're white, but hold judgement, they're definitely worth checking out. Erykah Badu has given the cosign.

• 8 months later...

The album blends a diverse group of master takes and outtakes from across Miles' incredible tenure with Columbia
Records (1955-1985) with original reinterpretations of songs by Davis. From the obvious (riffs and passages within
the catalog) to the obscure (samples of Miles' in-studio instructions spoken after false starts), Glasper has built
something unique but still unquestionably Miles. 

First day purchase.

Glasper been setting levels ... he's quietly the backbone of this jazz "resurgence" happening. So much good music.

Downloaded a few of Shawn Lee's albums, some nice stuff

20 minutes ago, Jam said:

Any links? I need some new jazz vibrations

His catalogue is huge (http://www.shawnlee.net/?cat=6) and varies in style, so much i need to check out

Try what.cd or no doubt they will be on other torrent sites

really looking forward to Miles Ahead

/

Gregory Porter >> ____

wish I could see him live but all his shows sell out of decent seats

has a nice joint on his upcoming album called French African Queen that I heard on Gilles Peterson's show, definitely copping the album (Take Me To The Alley) when it drops (May)

That new Terrace Martin is certified. The landscapes on here are amazing. The meshing of different grooves is, what I feel, a perfect distillation of jazz today. On the eve of Miles Ahead too, I feel this is almost in the spirit of Miles, and him venturing into hip hop and other genres. The LA scene is providing special vibrations

missed the chance to see Kamasi Washington last year, still regretting

The one in Scala? I missed that too. I think he's in Manny, Bristol, Birms in June/July - need to check the dates...  I'll travel if there ain't a London date I care not

nah Berlin

I've checked and his only scheduled London date is the British Summer Time Festival (2nd July for £70), Kendrick Lemar is there too so may be worth it - potential to have Kamasi featuring on the Kendrick set

jeez, got me distracted from work tryna track down this tune

gosh, didn't even consider planning my summer around live shows this year, gonna miss out

uk-0709-833620-front.jpg

was looking up who was sampled for a Wale song, found it, love it!