Almunia "I'm the best English goalkeeper"

MetaFives

There is an unwritten rule amongst European nations, this will not happen.
:/
Not really, Lots of Europeans do it, Senna and Spain, Deco and Portugal, Amauri is going to do it with Italy, I think its more of a unwritten rule with the homenations not to let this happen. Its never going to happen with Almunia anyway...David James >> Almunia IMO

He meant home nations, not Europe.Once Almnuia gets his passport he becomes British rather than English. Which makes him eligible for all the home nations rather than just England.When these passport rules were established the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FA made a gentlemans agreement that in the interest of fair play none of the home nations would take advantage of the ruling. It goes back decades I believe.The same unwritten rule stopped Nacho Novo playing for Scotland.I've always found it weird though, because Le Tisser and Le Saux were 'British' from birth rather than English - yet they had no problem playing for England. Although I guess it's different being born British and having a choice.Still, if Capello wants him I'm sure the FA will just chuck a bag of money at the other home nations football associations and get their way.