Learning Java

Dubby

Okay, well I need to learn Java because it's one of the languages I'm supposed to be using in uni next year in my Computer Science course, and my bredrin who went Nottingham said he was behind for quite a few months because he didn't learn it beforehand and I'm guessing if I don't step up my game i'll end up in the same place. So....Can someone tell me where to start? lol, like I've done a bit of searching about on google but it doesn't look very user friendly. So can someone just recommend a site or two, or possibly a book that I can use to learn it easily please?Thanks in advance

Pick up a beginner for dummies book. Do your own practical work beforehand... If its your first year you wont need to know that much as long as you keep up to speed and attend the lectures, cos they will assume you have never done programming before.Worse thing I did was miss every programming lecture and had to learn how to do it all in the last week of term, then do the main project in one day.

If its your first year you wont need to know that much as long as you keep up to speed and attend the lectures, cos they will assume you have never done programming before.
I studied computer science, and the above is good advice.In first year, they give you some program which gives you like a graphical interface for learning basic programming concepts....its like point and click but it shows you little bits of code so you get your head round the conceptsthen you move on to basic coding but as long as you go to your tutorials every week and make sure you work through all the practise tasks (asking for help when you need to) you will do fine.in 3rd year its purely theory only - they teach you concepts and let you go away and figure them out for yourself - i didnt bother and this is where i f*cked up. realised i barely knew what i was doing, cheated on the coursework and got a tutor to get me up to speed for the theory based exam, but then in 4th year we had to use all these techniques that i didnt know about and struggled big timejava is a bitch, but if you can learn it well, theres LOTS of money to be made. lots.

If its your first year you wont need to know that much as long as you keep up to speed and attend the lectures, cos they will assume you have never done programming before.
I study computer science, and the above is good advice.
:!: Just keep up, you dont need inside out knowledge in the first year, I didnt keep up and struggled even though it wasnt even that hard. Now I need to properly learn the stuff I blagged through, over the summer(personal choice as 2nd year is project based). Your uni will prob reccomend you a java book so for now if you want to get a head start, get some e-books and do the exercises. (You need to download a Java Development Kit JDK off the website and you can use any text editor like Notepad or whatever).
Beginning programming with Java for dummieshttp://www.mediafire.com/?molmmdtknzjJava in 60 minutes a dayhttp://www.mediafire.com/?moz3fzydvwy

Two ebooks I have should be good for beginners.http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jspDownload the Java developement kit off there