Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Planet

The 80's R&B Thread

23 posts in this topic

I'm always down for exploring music and I have a thing for rhythm guitars playing funky 5ths, 7th and 11ths so this topic is for the appreciation of music from that generous era.Been banging out SOS by the SOS band recently, one of the best albums I've heard.The composition and musicianship is immense and I like their use of instrumentation very varied.highlight tracks are:Take love where you find itTake your time (below)Open letterBut in all every track has alot to offerAnother album I recommend is Pandemonium by the Time even though it is a 1990 album they pretty much are 80's fellas, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were even part of the group.The music is much more them instead of tracks produced, arranged and performed by Prince with Morris Day on the Vocals. Therefore alot of better musicianship to offer as Prince at times is a basic.

*Doesn't care if he is the only fan*

You aint alone.Link to SOS album?

Heads up on the Brothers Johnson, got their greatest hits album is lively.Need to get some proper albums though.The Time - What time is it?Great album, especially this.Listen to that rhythm guitar riff, fingers must be burning.This was one of the more talented Prince spin-off bands.

Heres some Brothers JohnsonMost man know of Strawberry Letter 23These man worked closely with Quincy Jones, so bangers bangers bangers.

This thread comes like Justin's in the Fight Club room except it has substance.

Truesay some of this stuff is late 70's.Only one-two synthesizers per band, better IMO.

Dazz band were decent aswell, I haven't really grown too fond of what they did earlier on but this despite it being made in the past 10 years is a banger

Juicy's album, "It takes two", is a very consistent duo effort, on par with the SOS bands second album, there may be some/probably are some Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis produced tracks in there.Also "Rock the world" by the reggae group Third World impresses me.