Roy Jones makes offer to fight Hopkins

Steven

By Jim Dower: On the Calvin Murphy show today, Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. called in and ended up battling it out in a back and forth hilarious argument. Jones, 40, offered to fight Hopkins with the winner getting 60% and the loser 40% of the revenue. However, Hopkins was having none of it, insisting that Jones take 40%. Near the end of the call, Jones went even further, saying that the two fighters could fight in a winner take all bout with the victor getting everything. At that point, Hopkins clearly not interested, hung up.Afterwards, Jones gleefully laughed and made sport of Hopkins, telling Calvin, “He ran off the phone at the mention of winner take all.” Jones then went on to say that Hopkins has been “doing this for five years” and “it was his worst nightmare to see me back and looking good.” Jones was referring to his impressive 10th round TKO win over Jeff Lacy last weekend. Jones was willing to let Golden Boy pick the judges, the gloves and the food he eats, saying “I know I can beat Hopkins cause I’m back on my game.” However, Jones recognized that the fight with Hopkins will likely never take place because he feels that Hopkins wants to humiliate him by making him take less than him, something that Jones feels is a payday for Roy getting a bigger cut than Hopkins in their previous fight which Jones won in 1993. Jones later on said that he doesn’t need Hopkins, because he prefers to go after Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson, saying that he wants to avenge those defeats. Jones then added that he already beat Hopkins with one hand in 1993 and it wouldn’t be a problem to do it again. Jones sounded really confident and appeared to get the better of Hopkins in the argument, especially when Jones started talking about the winner getting the bigger cut. Hopkins wanted nothing to do with that, and Jones saw it as Hopkins not believing that he could beat Roy. Earlier in the call, Hopkins ridiculed Jones’ last two opponents, Omar Sheika and Lacy, pointing out that he himself is fighting guys 18 years younger. When it came to the money issue, Hopkins said that unless Jones was willing to take 40%, then there would be no fight. Jones then said, “I’m not going to bow down and take less.” Hopkins then rattled off his recent successes, pointing out that he had beaten Kelly Pavlik, Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson, and reminding Jones that he had lost to Tarver and Johnson. Jones then said, “I don’t care, just as long as I beat you, that’s all I care about.” Jones then said he’s just having fun in boxing and doesn’t really care about his legacy afterwards. Hopkins, on the other hand, said he really cares about his own legacy. Jones will be fighting Danny Green on November 21st in Sydney, Australia. After that fight, who knows what Jones will do. It would be interesting for boxing fans to see if Jones goes after a revenge bout against either Tarver or Johnson. Both of those fighters knocked Jones out in 2004, but it was a year after Jones had dropped a lot of weight after having fought at heavyweight.
Hopkins is a prickSounds like he does not want this fight at all

Hopkins has wanted this fight for Yearsbut Jones wanted to take the piss with the pay cause he was in the position of powerNow the roles have changed Hopkins is doing it tit for tat this is how Boxing is, its governed by money and not love for competition i dont see why for this fight the promoters cant make it a winner takes all thing.But anyway Hopkins>>>>Jones

• 4 weeks later...