Uefa statement regarding striker Eduardo

TF S4DK

This afternoon Uefa released the following statement regarding Eduardo's conduct against Celtic:"Having studied video evidence of the incident in question, the UEFA disciplinary inspector decided to charge the player concerned. The UEFA control and disciplinary body will examine the case on September 1.''The charge is based on Article 10, paragraph 1c of the UEFA disciplinaryregulations (misconduct of players) which states: "Players may be suspended fortwo competition matches, or for a specified period, for acting with the obvious intent to cause any match official to make an incorrect decision or supporting his error of judgment and thereby causing him to make an incorrect decision.''

Arsène Wenger has likened the Uefa charge against Eduardo to a ‘witch-hunt' and says it will be hard to prove.On Friday lunchtime, the Arsenal striker was hit with a sanction for "intent to cause a match official to make an incorrect decision" during the game against Celtic in midweek.Later that day, his manager defended his player robustly and suggested the charge may not stick."For me it's a witch-hunt that we see and not an objective judgement of a case," he said."Eduardo has been touched by the goalkeeper and we can prove that. I'm the first to say that, at first, it doesn't look like a penalty but it's another thing to say that he went down with intent. I wish you good luck to prove that having seen the pictures again."To single out a player who is coming back from injury like he had, when he was hit in the way he was, for going down... well I don't blame him. When you saw his leg after that tackle I don't blame him for getting out of the way of the goalkeeper."
Arsène Wenger is ready to defend Eduardo after Uefa’s “illogical” decision to charge the striker. The incident occurred after 28 minutes of Arsenal’s 3-1 Champions League Play-off round victory over Celtic when Hoops’ keeper Artur Boruc appeared to bring down the Croatian inside the penalty area. Referee Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzales did not hesitate to award the spot-kick and Eduardo duly converted from 12 yards. However, on Friday morning, Uefa charged the Rio-born forward with ‘intent to cause an official to make an incorrect decision’. The issue dominated Friday’s pre-match press conference where Wenger vowed to fight Eduardo’s corner. “He's been charged, not charged guilty,” the manager declared. “We'll defend our player.” If found guilty, the striker could face a two-match ban. But, if the referee had thought Eduardo had dived in the first place, the striker would have only been booked.Wenger said: “Of course, we will argue that. “It is completely [a] lack of logic in this case. Why? Because people have reacted emotionally, which I can understand. “Secondly, because this case has been ruled by the media.”
Arsène Wenger has branded Uefa’s charge against Eduardo as “a complete disgrace and unacceptable”.The Arsenal striker has been hit with disciplinary action for “intent to cause a match official to make an incorrect decision” over a penalty incident in the first half of the Champions League Play-Off with Celtic on Wednesday night.The charge was announced on Friday just before Wenger met the media ahead of the game against Manchester United. It is safe to say Wenger felt his player and his Club had been dealt with harshly.“I find it a complete disgrace and unacceptable,” he said.“We won't accept the way we have been treated in this case for two reasons. One, I believe that you can debate whether it was a penalty or not. This charge implies there was intent and a desire to cheat the referee. Having watched the pictures again there was nothing conclusive. Two, it singles out a player in Europe to be a cheat and that is not acceptable.“I believe that, first of all, there are two cases in this case and that Uefa has taken action that is not defendable.”The manager went on to say that Europe’s governing body may have created problems for themselves by bringing the action.“I've fought my whole life against cheating and I've seen some obvious cases where Uefa didn't intervene,” he said.“On and off the pitch things have happened where no action was taken. This is the first time since I've been in football that the judgement has been made by the referee is not accepted by the football bodies.“Usually a situation that has been assessed and judged by the referee can't be touched again. Now every single decision made by a referee can be challenged. So for me they've opened a very dangerous door here.”
Arsène Wenger believes Uefa’s disciplinary charge against Eduardo once again proves that video technology must be introduced to help referees. Wenger is a long-standing supporter of replays to help avoid situations like the one that has arisen since Eduardo's penalty in the Champions League Play-Off against Celtic. The Croatian has been charged by European football's governing body with 'intent to cause an official to make an incorrect decision' and, although he disagrees with Uefa’s action, Wenger feels technology would have circumvented the problem."I think we have to fight against diving," said Wenger. "The best way to do that is to have video evidence when you make decisions. "The referee could say straight away 'penalty or not'. If he is told no, we continue, or yes, we take the penalty."The referees need help. How many times have I come out and said I am for video technology? Uefa refused the video technology but now they have used it to judge our player. Where is the logic? It is something that is quite surprising."