Rubber Coated Weights vs Iron Weights

Flojo

For a while I was using 2 different gyms one that uses iron weights and the other that uses those rubber coated ones.The first time I went to the one that uses rubber coated weights I lifted more than I'd done before on every dumbbell exercise. Went back to the gym with Iron weights and couldn't lift what I'd lifted at the other gym.My cousin came to the gym with Iron weights and said the 15kgs there felt heavier than the 17kgs at his gym (rubber coated weights).It sounds dumb but has any one else felt a difference between rubber & Iron weights?

IF YOU ARE LIVING IN THE WORLD TODAY, REMEMBER TO READ THE LABELS WHEN ENTERING THE COLD WORLD OF KILLA HILLS 10304. INVESTIGATIVE REPORTS STATE THAT THE DUEL OF THE IRON MIC TOOK PLACE IN THE 4TH CHAMBER. AND IT WAS THE INFAMOUS SHADOWBOXIN' TECHNIQUE THAT LURED MC'S INTO THE RAZOR SHARP BLADES OF SOLID GOLD, LIQUID SWORDS. FEEL THE WRATH OF THE HELL'S WIND STAFF AND LEARN THE BASIC INSTRUCTION BEFORE LEAVING EARTH* IS TO EXPLAIN THE UNEXPLAINED. AND TO THOSE WHO SCREAM KEEP IT REAL AND YO GOD, I GOTCHA BACK, KILL THE FRAUDELENT AND HONOR THE CODE OF THE LYRICAL SWORDSMAN.
hard

lmao same herewent to some gym down west end and banged out out 30kg rubber dumbbells on each hands doing the incline press for 15 reps like its nothing.following week went back to my gym with the iron dumbbells (30kg aswell) and i was stuggling to do 10. the iron weights have more mass

Guest Cipher

Its because of LBS - KG conversionA lot of the weights in a gym [rubber] are from overseas (i.e. the U.S.)Where the measured in lbs.They are measured there at 0.45lbs = 1 kg (the 45 is rounded down)But in reality it is 0.45.359237 lbs = 1 kgSo as the kgs & pounds are added up, that .359237 eventually becomes a whole kg, and then more depending on the weight of the dumbells/plates you are usingit is miniscule at the start but soon adds upHope that explains it, this of course only happens with certain brands that are imported though, which is why in some gyms you will have rubber dumbells that weight exactly the same as iron onesIts nothing to do with mass, mass is universally constant.

some rubber weights are also made in KGs but the iron ones wld still feel heavier.this will be cos usually the rubber weights are one single mass of weight while the iron weights are clusters of weights put together so they feel heavier.sometimes its also just due to your body being used to certain weights, but the weight distribution is usually the more common reason.