PC help

captain capo

So I turn on my laptop this morning and notice me wallpaper isn't there. Instead it is replaced by some words '0's and 1's and a message saying 'your computer has spyware' blah blah. It then attempts to scan my laptop with Total protection which I can cancel but can't do anything else. Can't open any programs or task manager, I can only open up folders. It says for e.g. firefox.exe. is infected Anyone know how to solve this or any ideas how I got it?I'm currently using mcaffe which didn't detect anything.Thanks

It's spyware trying to sell you a spyware/virus remover. Happened to me once. Easiest thing to do is System Restore if I recall, but there are other ways of fixing it. What program is it asking you to use to clear the infection?
Its asking me to use Total protection. I'll try system restore but it doesn't let me click on icons. It says that they are infected and I need to run that total protection so I think it is what Faiizow is talking about. System restore is that windows cd yeah? If so can I make it run like autoplay because it wouldn't let me click on the files on the cd.Its a blessing this happened now and not during term.

Arrgh this is F'd. 'Windows could not start because windows\system32\config\system is missing'. Says I can attmpt to repair it by pressing 'r' and running the setup CD but when I press 'r' it just resets and its the same thing again.Any recommendations for a nice lappy? I doubt this can be fixed.
you dont need to buy a new laptoppretty much any software issue can be resolved by reformatting the hard disk and reinstalling windows (but then you loose the contents of the machine)if you have a windows cd you need to set your machine to boot from the cd, easy enough to find advice on google:http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-x...ios/133187.htmlthis should be a last resortits time consuming to install all your programs and sh*t after completely formatting your machine

Arrgh this is F'd. 'Windows could not start because windows\system32\config\system is missing'. Says I can attmpt to repair it by pressing 'r' and running the setup CD but when I press 'r' it just resets and its the same thing again.Any recommendations for a nice lappy? I doubt this can be fixed.
you dont need to buy a new laptoppretty much any software issue can be resolved by reformatting the hard disk and reinstalling windows (but then you loose the contents of the machine)if you have a windows cd you need to set your machine to boot from the cd, easy enough to find advice on google:http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-x...ios/133187.htmlthis should be a last resortits time consuming to install all your programs and sh*t after completely formatting your machine
Thanks. I just tried this and got to the 4th stage but couldn't progress as it didn't find any hard disk drives installed. How can this be?

tash isn't so curly now is it
Safe.
LOLquick search came up with this.http://removal-tool.com/total-virus-protection/Dont download that program straightaway(unless you thoroughly trust the site), but have a look at what is says and keep googling. You wont have to system restore, spyware like this affects a lot of users and there is definetely a way for you to get your lappy back in order online. Unless youve already started deleting bits of windows...

Guest Swiftie

Reason why your HD wasn't detected with whatever fix you was trying (think you was trying to reinstall windows from fresh) is most likely because your laptop has a SATA drive and whatever disc/software/os you was trying to use. Doesn't have the SATA drivers for it to pick your hard drive up. I guess it's an XP disk.It's an easy fix without formating which can be done by issuing a CHKDSK command from command promt using a windows cd depending on the Operating system you have installed currently.U local?

Reason why your HD wasn't detected with whatever fix you was trying (think you was trying to reinstall windows from fresh) is most likely because your laptop has a SATA drive and whatever disc/software/os you was trying to use. Doesn't have the SATA drivers for it to pick your hard drive up. I guess it's an XP disk.It's an easy fix without formating which can be done by issuing a CHKDSK command from command promt using a windows cd depending on the Operating system you have installed currently.U local?
Yeah, after checking various forums they are all saying the same. I live in Tottenham / Walthamstow.