THE SMARTPHONE THREAD

Lenny

When buying the more expensive phones you usually get a better deal by going contract, but probably a worse deal on mid-range phones.

Just take a minute to do the maths and see if a sim-only deal x 24 months + the cost of device is lower than a 24 month contract paid in full.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They're gonna have to lower these contracts down to 18 months atleast the way these new/better phones keep dropping every other month. 

Last year walked into a phone shop and had a play around with the Nexus 6P... compared to the htc m8 I had at the time,it blew it straight out of the water. Felt like I was rocking a brick phone that whole time.

Now..

Went into Samsung on Oxford St earlier today.

Note 7...... Fam. 

Felt like dashing my 6P in the bin as I walked out the shop today. Note 7 is something else.  

Just upgraded from my iphone 6 plus. Couldn't even be bothered to wait for the dead announcements for the 7 so went for the galaxy note 7 instead.

Phones gonna be hard to beat. The design of the phone is brilliant and the difference in the clarity of the screen is ridiculous. Thought a couple of the features might be a bit gimmicky (iris scanner) but despite the bullshit reviews posted online pre release it works well

A good few places claimed wearing contacts would render it useless but i've had no problems and they claimed it was no quicked than a fingerprint scan but its almost instant as long as you use it correctly

1 hour ago, Trim said:

Just upgraded from my iphone 6 plus. Couldn't even be bothered to wait for the dead announcements for the 7 so went for the galaxy note 7 instead.

Phones gonna be hard to beat. The design of the phone is brilliant and the difference in the clarity of the screen is ridiculous. Thought a couple of the features might be a bit gimmicky (iris scanner) but despite the bullshit reviews posted online pre release it works well

A good few places claimed wearing contacts would render it useless but i've had no problems and they claimed it was no quicked than a fingerprint scan but its almost instant as long as you use it correctly

Got mine on Tues ,been waiting months for this to drop.

After being on IOS ( 6S ) needed to go for something different. Sold the Iphone which covered the early upgrade fee.

Impressed. Screen is amazing , speed is excellent. The camera >>>>

Works well since i'm always on the mobile at work with emails and meetings so the note feature comes in handy.

Def feeling this phone. One a decent contract as well 20GB data Unlimited everything else. I'm nice.

Samsung recalls Note 7 flagship over explosive batteries

Samsung Electronics is recalling its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphone and said that battery problems were behind phones catching fire.

The decision follows reports in the US and South Korea of the phone "exploding" during or after charging.

The South Korean company said customers who already bought the phone will be able to swap it for a new one.

The recall comes just one week ahead of an expected presentation of a new iPhone model from its main rival Apple.

"We have received several reports of battery explosion on the Note 7 that and it has been confirmed that it was a battery cell problem," the president of Samsung's mobile business Koh Dong-jin told reporters.

The firms said it would take about two weeks to prepare replacement devices.

According to Samsung, the phone has been launched in 10 countries so far but with different companies supplying the batteries.

Peak

Luckily I have an IPhone 5 to fall back on whilst they repair if it isn't a straight swap in store. Can imagine ALOT of people sold/gave away their old phones , this could be a mess.

Swear Apple is showcasing their new IPhone next week as well.

Wonder if it will be a definite GLOBAL recall or if they identify what models have the faulty battery.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, i5_PRODUCER said:

Massive L

Love the phone but if it has to go it has to go.

Carphone warehouse saying i can swap it out for whatever phone or get a full refund.

Iphone 7 plus or Pixel XL is me

That pixel XL looks hard still.

Played around with it today. Impressive

• 2 weeks later...

The firm may be down, but it’s not out. Despite the disastrous life and fiery death of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, it looks like the South Korean phone maker is ready to get back in the ring by way of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. While previous reports suggested that Samsung would debut only one flagship phone in 2017 (the S8), it has now been revealed that the company is officially planning for the heir to the ill-fated Note 7. The Galaxy Note 8 will not only be offered to customers, but will be offered at half the price as a sort of olive branch. But even if it’s 50-percent off, it won’t be worth it unless the company can fix the exploding battery problem.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-note-8-2017-half-off/#ixzz4O15Tdzmv
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-note-8-2017-half-off/