Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spiderman

FAO Vinyl Heads

4 posts in this topic

how do i know if my cartridges need replacing. i ask cos when i used my decks today id notice distortion coming in sometimes on all frequencies and in some cases gettin worse as the record played. everytime this would happen id see dust piling up on the stylus so i just kept cleaning it and the vinyls a few times, but it happened with nearly every tune and its never happened before so im now thinking, i need new cartridges maybe lol.

That happens a lot to me with new vinyl, the static that builds up on them from the constant rubbing of the needle attracts dust and it ends up building up on the end of the needle. Clean ur room, have the window slightly open, i doubt it's ur needles that need replacing but if u wanna be sure check to see there's some gap between the needle and the end of the cartridge. I guess it wouldn't hurt to buy some new ones and just have them as spare if it end up you didn't need them tho.

safe ill check if theres a gap. im gonna try clean everything up a bit today, then if it still happens ill try new needles. there was points where it wernt distorting at all but it happened most the time which is a bit unusual i thought. fair enuff it happened once or twice but cos it kept happening im doubting it.