Adegate

Mr. Gayle

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR'S feud with Robin van Persie began last season when he walked off with his strike partner's boots.And the disgraced Adebayor will add insult to injury by dragging Van Persie into his battle with the FA.The City striker was banned for three matches for raking Dutchman Van Persie's face with his studs during last week's explosive clash with Arsenal.But the roots of their confrontation stretch back to the final day of last season when Adebayor scooped up boots and kit from the Arsenal dressing room.The former Gunners striker walked into the home changing room at the Emirates with a bin liner and filled it with the boots of first team players.Van Persie, who had scored twice in a 4-1 win against Stoke and intended to give his boots to friends as a momento, was livid.He was stunned when a kitman told him that Adebayor had taken all the players' boots before leaving the Emirates for the last time.Arsenal confirmed last night that Adebayor, who missed the game through injury, had taken the boots of several players.A club official said: "Adebayor took all the boots from the dressing room without permission."He swept the dressing room."Van Persie, along with skipper Cesc Fabregas and other Arsenal stars were told about the amazing incident by the kit men. By then Adebayor had already left the stadium with the boots and other items of kit that he had picked up off the dressing room floor.Arsenal's backroom staff witnessed the extraordinary scenes, but were powerless to act.And an Arsenal source said: "Normally at the end of the season players give their boots away to friends, family or a charity, but they couldn't because Ade had taken the lot."We never saw him - or the boots - again."Robin was going mad. They couldn't believe a team-mate earning £80,000 a week would do that."When quizzed about the incident, Adebayor's agent Stephane Courbis claimed last night: "At the end of the season it is usual for players to take the materials they will not be using any more."A lot of African players take kit back to their country because the facilities and conditions in Africa are not the same as they are in England."Meanwhile Adebayor has not finished with Van Persie yet.The Togo international plans to put his ex-team-mate in the dock when his improper conduct charge for provocative goal celebrations in front of the Arsenal fans at Eastland's, is heard by the FA.The City striker is putting together a DVD package of controversial goal celebrations ahead of his hearing.Van Persie ran to the crowd after equalising for Arsenal in their 4-2 defeat at City last weekend, and was alleged to have mouthed obscenities at City supporters.The Dutch striker has not been charged by the FA and also escaped punishment following his scathing statement about his former strike partner.Adebayor will point out that he did not leave the field of play when he ran nearly 90 yards to celebrate in front of Arsenal fans after scoring City's third.The City striker has been banned for three games - including today's Manchester derby at Old Trafford - following the raking incident with van Persie.And as they club attempt to ensure their star striker won't face further sanction, they have trawled through the archives for evidence and discovered a similar incident involving Thierry Henry and Tottenham supporters.Eagle-eyed City chiefs have footage of the former Arsenal striker scoring at Highbury in a North London derby seven years ago, back in November 2002.Henry then ignored his team-mates' attempts to stop him, running 90 yards up the touchline before sliding to his knees in front of Spurs supporters in the Clock End.Henry escaped an FA rap, despite calls from Spurs fans for immediate action, and Adebayor will argue that his own celebration was similar.The former Arsenal captain has also joined the debate over Adebayor's behaviour and slammed his ex-team-mate's criticism of the Gunners and boss Arsene Wenger.Henry said: "You have to remember - no matter where you end up in life - the people who helped make you along the way and gave you the chance."I won the treble with Barcelona last year, but I know if it wasn't for Arsene and Arsenal I would not be the player I am today."I think the same has to be true of Adebayor. He might be one of the world's top strikers today but he wasn't before Arsene got hold of him and gave him that chance."When he came from Monaco he wasn't even getting games back in France and then, within two seasons, he was a player who was wanted by a lot of top clubs in Europe."Arsene puts a lot of investment in you when he sees talent and I don't think it would hurt for Adebayor to show him, the club and the fans a little more respect."The fans at Arsenal were great, they were and always will be my family."I never saw them behave badly, so to react like they did at the weekend shows just how angry and upset they were."They will you show you love and respect, but like any relationship they will ask for that love and respect back."No matter what Adebayor's emotions were he could have earned himself a lot of respect by not celebrating the goal."That would have shown real class, and that to be honest is what most players choose to do when they score against their old clubs, and I don't really understand why he didn't do that.

I want him to get more for the celebration but only so it adds to what he got for the stamp. Obviously everyones vex cos him scoring and celebrating like that means he got one over on the fans so a banfeels like small retribution for that. What he done was stupid but I wouldn't be calling for a ban(not that I am now but if he gets it good) if it was another player against another team.