Arsenal v West Brom, Tuesday 22nd September, 19:45 (Carling Cup)

TF S4DK

Arsène Wenger will revert to type when his side start their Carling Cup campaign against West Brom at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.The Arsenal manager has traditionally fielded the younger players in his squad for this competition and he’ll be doing that once again for the visit of the Championship leaders.Polish keeper Wojciech Szczesny is set for his debut and Carlos Vela will play his first game of the season after an ankle injury.There will be significant experience at centre back, where Philippe Senderos is expected to play his first game for the Gunners since May 2008, but otherwise Arsenal will be young once more.“You will see Wojciech Szczesny, Ramsey, Gibbs, Wilshere and certainly Vela,” said Wenger. “Traore will play.“Some experienced players will guide the team like Senderos and Silvestre. But overall it will be a very, very young team as usual.”
SzczesnyHoyte Senderos Silvestre GibbsRandall/CoquelinRamsey Merida Wilshere Vela TraorePersonally I thought Watt would start on the right, Wilshere left, but if Gibbs and Traore both confirmed to start then that cant be, so Randall or Coquelin have to come in to do the holding role.The likes of Barazite, Frimpong, Murphy, Sunu, Bartley maybe even Shea and Eastmond should make the bench.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

merida and hoyte have gone to the u20 world cupf*ck both gibbs and traore startingf*ck mark randall
Ahh ok. Gilbert or Eastmond to cover RB and Watt will start then.It could work still...Lol. TBH it could be Randall, Coquelin, Frimpong or Eastmond there. Randall would seem the likely cos as he has the experience, but Coquelin is French still...

Arsène Wenger has been so impressed by Armand Traore since his return from a loan spell at Portsmouth that he is ready to use him in a left-midfield role. The left-back spent all of last season at Fratton Park, making 28 appearances under three different managers, including Gunners legend Tony Adams.Traore is set to feature in tonight's Carling Cup clash with West Brom and, speaking ahead of the game, Wenger declared that the French youngster will prove a hit with the Arsenal fans."He can be a big surprise because he has improved a lot," claimed Wenger. "Technically, tactically, and mentally he is a lot more mature." The 19-year-old has one Reserve-team appearance to his name so far this season and Wenger admits it will be difficult for Traore to get a chance in the first-team as a left-back with so much competition for that place. "He does not get his chance at the moment because he's a left-back," said the manager. "We have Clichy, we have Gibbs, and we have Traore, so it's very difficult for him to get a chance. "But I use him as well now in left-midfield because he has huge power and pace, a good cross, and he's a finisher as well."
Aaron Ramsey will be out to prove tonight that he has come of age as an Arsenal player.The Wales midfielder arrived at Emirates Stadium last summer after bursting onto the scene with Cardiff City as a 16-year-old. His first year in North London was spent picking up valuable first-team experience and honing his raw skills on the training pitches at London Colney.This season should be different. Ramsey is a year older, a year wiser and he has already netted in the Premier League. Arsène Wenger believes the 18-year-old is pushing Arsenal's senior midfielders hard for a regular first-team spot and the manager will give him a further chance to shine when the Carling Cup campaign gets underway tonight.Ramsey was still finding his feet at Emirates Stadium when he sparkled in last season's competition but tonight he will be one of the most experienced Arsenal players on show. It’s proof that Ramsey has grown up on and off the pitch."To come here from Cardiff was a big step up in terms of everything," he told Arsenal.com. "I had to get used to everything, but I'm settled now and I feel like one of the lads. I'm not a kid in the dressing room anymore, I really feel part of it."My awareness is better and my touch has improved, one and two touch. I maybe don't give the ball away as much as I used to, but all of that comes with experience and hopefully I can continue improving and start playing League games as well."I want to play every game and put pressure on the manager. I don't just want to be the guy who starts in the Carling Cup. I'm still only 18, but I'm like every other player - I want to start every game and do well for Arsenal."Ramsey's hopes of Carling Cup glory were ended by Burnley last season but it would have been a different story had Arsenal taken their chances in that Quarter-Final tie at Turf Moor.The young Gunners have reached the latter stages of the competition for four consecutive years - including a Final appearance in 2007 - and Ramsey is convinced they can go all the way this time."No matter who it is against or who is in the team for us, we play the same way in every game and our mentality is always the same," he said. "We prepare in the right way and treat every game the same."Of course it's a competition we can win, even if the boss fields a young team. We can win any competition. No matter what the side is, we have the same mentality to win every game and to win every competition if we can."
Arsène Wenger will do whatever it takes to protect Jack Wilshere from the perils of 'burn-out'.Football history is littered with stories of talented youngsters who shone brightly and then faded from vision, and the Arsenal manager is determined to handle Wilshere with care.That is easier said than done. The 17-year-old was so impressive at the Emirates Cup in August that he won two consecutive man-of-the-match awards and was even touted for a place in England's 2010 World Cup squad. No wonder the clamour for his inclusion in the Arsenal first-team has grown ever since.But Wenger has chosen to keep Wilshere on the fringes of the side until tonight, when the teenager will start the Carling Cup tie against West Bromwich Albion at Emirates Stadium. In an exclusive pre-match interview with Arsenal TV Online, the manager explained why Wilshere's progress must be managed correctly."I believe last year he paid a little bit of a price physically for a very demanding start," said Wenger. "This year we feel that he is strong, more mature, and I'm sure that he will show that. "It's difficult to treat them [young English players] completely the same because you want to speed up a little bit their progress, but physically I will still treat him like anybody else because most people once they get to 19 years of age - 19 or 20 without big injures - they are over-used. A big injury can always happen because you get over-use of the players."With that in mind, Wenger will use Wilshere sparingly. The 17-year-old can expect to pick up valuable first-team experience this term but his manager is setting no targets on that front."You cannot predict that too much, because for a player like Aaron Ramsey you know what can happen because he's now physically ready," said Wenger."I believe you do not know what will happen throughout the season so for Jack the most objective target is to improve. There are some areas where he can improve and that is most important that you work on everything."