"How can I be racist? I have a white friend"

Sub_Zero

EL HADJI DIOUF is claiming that Everton fans threw bananas at him on Sunday. The controversial Blackburn Rovers striker was interviewed by the police after a ball-boy claimed the Senegal star racially abused him. But Diouf categorically denied the allegations, claiming the Everton ball-boy lied and accused the Toffees fans of pelting him with bananas. Speaking to Radio Monte Carlo, Diouf said: "The ball went out and I wanted to take the throw in quickly. "The ball-boy threw the ball at me like a bone to a dog. "The assistant referee told me he saw it but we had to continue and we would look at it at half-time. "What's more people threw bananas at me. The fourth official said he would make a report to the police. "I didn't say anything so that people couldn't say 'It's El Hadji Diouf again'. "I've had problems before but never like on Sunday." Ex-Liverpool front man Diouf did complain to the police at the end of the game - won 3-0 by Everton - that bananas had been thrown at him. An officer and members of the Goodison Park ground staff went to investigate the section of the pitch where Diouf claimed fans threw them but found nothing. If there were bananas thrown it was certainly not picked up by the TV cameras nor seen by the photographers who were working on the side of the pitch. Police later confirmed that they had interviewed Diouf in connection with an allegation of racist abuse. And they also revealed they were considering whether to bring charges. AdvertisementThe 14-year-old ball-boy concerned claimed that Diouf shouted: "F*** off white boy." But the hitman claimed he did not even speak to the young ball-boy on Sunday and instead tried to turn the tables on Everton. He added: "I didn't even speak to him. I just told the assistant ref that the ball-boy should respect the players. "And after that I left. But people in the stands said I aimed racist words to the kid. "The police interrogated me for three minutes. "I don't want the matter to rest there. "For a kid to say things like that is unacceptable. "I've had other problems, of spitting or fighting on the pitch but not of racism. "I don't have just black friends. I have a very good understanding with Gael Givet here at Blackburn for example. "All this is not El Hadji Diouf. I did nothing. "People have a habit of sticking labels on me like three years ago when I was at Bolton. "They had said I had spat on a small child during a game against Middlesbrough. "But it was never proved and I was cleared. "I understand that they don't love me at Everton. "But to say that I aimed racist words to a child means anything goes. "The referee pointed it out to the police after the game. People do anything to earn money on the back of the players." Behind closed doors, the Merseyside club are fuming that their fans have been tarnished by accusations of racist behaviour. In the 1980s racist thugs used bananas as missiles against black players like England, Liverpool and Watford winger John Barnes. But Everton insisted the police were only investigating the allegations against Diouf. A club spokesman said: "We really can't say much because the police investigation is ongoing. "However, the only investigation being undertaken is into the allegations against El Hadji Diouf. "There is no investigation ongoing into the behaviour of Everton supporters." The Goodison Park club will make no further statement until the police have decided how to proceed with the case. This is not the first time Diouf has courted controversy in his career since arriving in England in 2002. When he was at Liverpool he spat at a fan in a game against Celtic in March 2003. As a Bolton player he was accused of spitting at the opposition fans when the Trotters faced Middlesbrough in November 2004. And a few weeks later he spat at Portsmouth defender Arjen De Zeeuw and was fined two weeks' wages. :lol: