Bus CCTV Could Predict Assaults

Thun

POSSIBLE SIGNS OF CRIME DETECTABLE BY SMART CCTVMoving seatsClosing in on a passengerGroups of young menShouting at a driverPeople fallingPeople loitering on stairwells

Bus CCTV could predict assaultsBy Dominic CascianiBBC News home affairs CCTV security systems could soon spot an assault on a bus before it happens, according to a major research project.The system, part of which has already been tested in laboratory conditions, looks for suspicious behaviour associated with crime.It would be able to send live CCTV pictures to operation rooms, from where controllers would be able to intervene.The Queens University Belfast team say the software could make a significant impact on crime on transport.Although much of the work is currently at the theoretical stage, the team from the university's newly-founded Centre for Secure Information Technologies predict that within five years their software will be able to profile people as they board a bus. The system would then compare who it thinks these people are, and what they are doing, with more general data on the bus's location, time of day and historic crime rates.Once it has sifted this data, it could be able to conclude whether someone is about to commit an assault and send live pictures to controllers.Dr Paul Miller, head of the research project, said there were millions of CCTV cameras in the UK doing very little to fight crime."Their impact on anti-social behaviour and criminal behaviour is negligible - assaults on buses are a major problem and very little CCTV material is analysed in real-time," he said.Dr Miller said the 15-strong team were still developing initial databases to identify an individual's gender and body shape.Recognising behaviourHowever, the team say the system goes further by then looking for recognised signs of an imminent criminal offence. POSSIBLE SIGNS OF CRIME DETECTABLE BY SMART CCTVMoving seatsClosing in on a passengerGroups of young menShouting at a driverPeople fallingPeople loitering on stairwellsThese signs include someone moving seats shortly before an assault, groups closing in on a passenger sitting alone and people loitering on a double-decker's stairwell, or close to the driver's cab.The system would only alert a controller if the sum of all of these "atomic events" added up to the profile of a possible crime."The system won't be able to say, 'this is an incident' - but it will be able to push that video stream to the top of the queue for security analysts [in a control room] to make a decision," said Dr Miller."Ultimately, most of the events will be benign, with nothing going on. That's why you still need the human element."Dr Miller said that laboratory tests on gender recognition, based on a database of 4,000 faces, had proved successful and the project would move into testing systems on buses over the next year.He conceded that buses were a "pretty challenging environment" for the software - but the benefits could be enormous."Research shows crimes happen when there is an opportunity and no chance of payback," he said."If a security analyst can directly communicate with the assailant, to tell them they are being watched, it will have a marked effect on the offender. Just one example of this actually happening can have a deterrent effect on the crime rate in an area."The CCTV project is among research being conducted at the Centre for Secure Information Technology, which has launched this week. CSIT says it aims to be a "leading edge" centre in taking theoretical university work on combating cyber crime and improving security and turning it into practical tools to help police and other security services.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8270934.stm
Remember to be a good slave and dont think about moving seats unless you want to be seen as a criminal or if you fall over you could be a terrawristYou can see now were society is heading

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WAVESURFER

This is a bit like the topic you made where you were complaining about that gang of tooled-up youths getting arrested on their way to carnival.You're picking the wrong targets.I see nothing wrong with this.

This is a bit like the topic you made where you were complaining about that gang of tooled-up youths getting arrested on their way to carnival.You're picking the wrong targets.I see nothing wrong with this.
So if you move seats or fall over you agree that signs of criminal behaviour yeah

"Ultimately, most of the events will be benign, with nothing going on. That's why you still need the human element."Do you not read the whole article or something?
POSSIBLE SIGNS OF CRIME DETECTABLE BY SMART CCTVMoving seatsClosing in on a passengerGroups of young menShouting at a driverPeople fallingPeople loitering on stairwells

Guest Tulse Hill
So if you move seats or fall over you agree that signs of criminal behaviour yeah
There not saying that though, you're twisting things to make it look like they are

Guest WAVESURFER
Obviously not. You're not gonna get arrested for changing seats, and I think the "falling over" part is referring to victims, rather than perpetrators of crime.. It says "POSSIBLE SIGNS OF CRIME". "POSSIBLE". Did you miss this part?
The system would only alert a controller if the sum of all of these "atomic events" added up to the profile of a possible crime."The system won't be able to say, 'this is an incident' - but it will be able to push that video stream to the top of the queue for security analysts [in a control room] to make a decision," said Dr Miller."Ultimately, most of the events will be benign, with nothing going on. That's why you still need the human element."

Guest Tulse Hill

tbh thun if my family member got butcherd or robbed on a bus but the attackers got away scot free at least I can say the government were right to not have cctv?wait that don't make senseyeh thats right it dont make sense but your trying to make something sound legit when it isn't

Obviously not. You're not gonna get arrested for changing seats, and I think the "falling over" part is referring to victims, rather than perpetrators of crime.. It says "POSSIBLE SIGNS OF CRIME". "POSSIBLE". Did you miss this part?
The system would only alert a controller if the sum of all of these "atomic events" added up to the profile of a possible crime."The system won't be able to say, 'this is an incident' - but it will be able to push that video stream to the top of the queue for security analysts [in a control room] to make a decision," said Dr Miller."Ultimately, most of the events will be benign, with nothing going on. That's why you still need the human element."
I did not say they will be arrested for it What you fail to see is the patterns of what they think a criminal does like move seats or fall over which I am highlighting

Guest WAVESURFER
I did not say they will be arrested for it What you fail to see is the patterns of what they think a criminal does like move seats or fall over which I am highlighting
Thun, did you even read my post?They're saying that if an incident on a bus ticks a certain amount of these boxes, "moving seats", "someone falling over", "big group of young males", "shouting at the driver" etc., then it'll move up the queue and a security analyst will assess whether there is anything untoward going on.I'd say in criminal incidents on buses, people moving seats, people closing in on another passenger, and people falling over are probably pretty common occurrences. It makes sense that they'd want to look at incidents where these things are happening.These things ARE patterns of what happens in criminal incidents on buses.

Thun, did you even read my post?They're saying that if an incident on a bus ticks a certain amount of these boxes, "moving seats", "someone falling over", "big group of young males", "shouting at the driver" etc., then it'll move up the queue and a security analyst will assess whether there is anything untoward going on.I'd say in criminal incidents on buses, people moving seats, people closing in on another passenger, and people falling over are probably pretty common occurrences. It makes sense that they'd want to look at incidents where these things are happening.These things ARE patterns of criminal incidents on buses.
Im sure you will feel safe that every movement you perform will be monitored just in case you decide to do a criminal act and it wont be just buses once you accept its okayNot the sort of society we should be moving towards

Guest WAVESURFER
Thun, did you even read my post?They're saying that if an incident on a bus ticks a certain amount of these boxes, "moving seats", "someone falling over", "big group of young males", "shouting at the driver" etc., then it'll move up the queue and a security analyst will assess whether there is anything untoward going on.I'd say in criminal incidents on buses, people moving seats, people closing in on another passenger, and people falling over are probably pretty common occurrences. It makes sense that they'd want to look at incidents where these things are happening.These things ARE patterns of criminal incidents on buses.
Im sure you will feel safe that every movement you perform will be monitored just in case you decide to do a criminal act and it wont be just buses once you accept its okayNot the sort of society we should be moving towards
I'm not doing any criminal acts on buses though, mate (other than smoking the odd fag). So I'm not bothered by CCTV being put there to catch people who are.

I'm not doing any criminal acts on buses though, mate (other than smoking the odd fag). So I'm not bothered by CCTV being put there to catch people who are.
You not the only one loving the big brother state being set up all around them

Guest WAVESURFER

Bloody hell, I give up.You're not really grasping the whole concept of "debate", are you?When I say something, you're supposed to kinda tell me why you disagree with my point of view, and offer your alternative perspective, to try & make me understand your opinion.You can't just go "Oh yeah, well you LOVE the 'Big Brother' state, so NEH!"Doesn't work like that, mate.

Guest Esquilax
I don't know what sort of idealistic world you want it to be?People doing whatever they want all the time undocumented? What do you want society to be like?
how about free
In what ways are you personally restricted?