Sopranos Vs The Wire

Hank Moody

sopranos vs the wire  

11 members have voted

1. 1. vote now

• sopranos
    • the wire
    • to close to call

i know alot of people will jump straight on the wire as they can culturally associate themselves to it, however just judge it as a TV show alone.Probably the two greatest shows to come out ever! But which do you prefer?When i watched The Sopranos i didn't think tv could get any better. From the soundtrack to the cast it was perfection. You can't beat characters like Paulie Walnuts, and it contains the greatest intervention scene known to man.But then i watched The Wire. Took me a few eps, but eventually it hit me. "Oh my god this is amazing." The sheer amount of characters they can fit in such a short period of time, and still give them such depth. Little moments like a shot of Rawls in a Gay Bar, which is then never addressed, is just one example of the small subtle things that add so much insight. Everyone is flawed, and the good guys or the bad guys don't come out on top. I don't think you could argue which show has more realism. Its the Wire's main strength. Soprano's is funnier mind, and certainly easier to pick up and watch. You can't (nor should you) pick up a random ep. of The Wire, it'd be like picking up a book and reading a random chapter.I probably shouldn't even be comparing them they're such different shows, but gun to head at this point I would have to go with The Wire. Sorry T. imo i think they left the wire a certain way so they could restart it in 5yrs if they wanted to...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sopranos for mebut they are top 3 selected think it was easier for the wire to keep people interested by changing the focus each season Imagine if it was the barksdales for 6 seasons sh*t would of got boring after 2

Both are incredible works of storytelling, but I have to take The Wire because of the scope and ambition of the show. It's a unique and miraculous accomplishment of television.Also, upon rewatching The Sopranos a couple months back.... I felt that as the series progressed, it suffered from increasing unnecessary scenes and arcs which appeared to just pad out the seasons. Not enough to make it a bad show, but enough to place it a yard short of probably the best TV ever. Maybe that was a function of its popularity - The Wire never really had many viewers, so there'd have been no pressure to exploit its fame by wringing out more storylines for their own sakeThe Sopranos' ending was masterful though

I have never watched The Sopranos, have been meaning to get into it though. The only thing on the level of the Wire for me is West Wing. Aren't they totally different anyway? Isn't the Sopranos purely fictional and the Wire is a portrait of reality?
the wire is fictional as well.. there was some tv show i saw where they played wire taps from some mafia guys and they were wondering if someone with in a family was leaking stuff out to the sopranos writers because it was too much alike what really went on.. so i guess sopranos is as realistic as the wire..i can't choose between the two... maybe if marlo had of got what was coming to him or if Chris (sopranos) had been able 2 kick his drug habit, i would be better able to pick one over the other

The Wire is better written in terms of depth imo, but Soprano's as a collection of work is better, easily infact. TBH I dont think its fair to compare the two, thing I tell people is The Wire is based on a City, Sopranos is based on a family. Personally I think its easier to fall in and out of The Sopranos.The Wire is based loosely around real people that existed in Baltimore. For example certain parts of the character Avon Barksdale is based on a real Bodie Avon Barksdale.