Players to watch, to learn, to play, good.

Captain Planet

Gonna have a go at the uni football team, haven't played a game of ball for like 4 years though :lol:, but I was a trusty CB my only issue was fitness.Gonna get back into the swing of training but in the mean time I might aswell watch some greats.So yeah, drop some matches where textbook defending is employed, preferably some Maldini.Thread can apply for other mandem aswell.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh a lot of te things you need as a CB aren't always visible to the camera, and they are the most important attributes really.AnticipationReading of the gameConcentrationAdd do that you need to want to attack the ball from goal kicks, throw ins, corners etc, aggression is also very important, I suggest (though you may not like them) youtubing Nemanja Vidic, John Terry etc for this, few are better than them at it.I will drop some links/vids when I have a bit more time to search How good are you really?What would you say your srengths/weaknesses are?

Strengths: good pace, strength, marking and reading opposition plays to an extent, infact i've been doing the mental side of ball from young, even primary school days.Weaknesses: Height lol, fitness (but that can be fixed), and everything else tbhI hope they're sh*t over there.
A lot of uni teams are sh*t lol, how tall are you?If your unlikely to win headers make sure you step off a few yards and anticipate the flick on & let your (presumably) taller CB partner challenge for the headers when he canYou good at heading?If you time your jump right and use your strength well your height shouldn't handicap you that much, especially from goal kicks since the ball is always coming to YOU, you just have to follow the flight of it, jockey them, and time your time wellYou gotta make sure your positioning is on point and you are VERY vocal, especially if you are starting with a team that you are new to/doesn't play together that muchMake sure you pass on attackers and let everyone else be aware of runners How are you on the ball?

aslong as u know the game well u should be fine... up your fitness to be able to keep up with nippy strikers on counters etc.for u, close down ppl as fast u can.... u gotta be a pressing defender if ur short.... no point marking man in the box when ur not gonna out jump anyone... ull get raped by guys who are good in the air all day... would suggest u play rb or lb instead of cb and use ur strength and pace to close down any wing play from midfielders who are gonna whip in crosses.

Ayala aswell, and Franco BaresiAlso, Rio.I'm aware its a little redundant saying this without clips but youtube only really has silly clips of people scoring or some slow motion montage of them celebrating, not much help for what your after.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

If you want to learn how to defend download Ireland v Italy from World Cup '94.McGrath man marked Baggio out of the game with one arm limp (which he later revealed in his book was down to drink). It's quite commonly known as the greatest defensive performance of all time.is some clips from it, I'll find the full game if you want it.Read the opening chapter from his book too, describes some moments of that game in great detail.

If you want to learn how to defend download Ireland v Italy from World Cup '94.McGrath man marked Baggio out of the game with one arm limp (which he later revealed in his book was down to drink). It's quite commonly known as the greatest defensive performance of all time.is some clips from it, I'll find the full game if you want it.Read the opening chapter from his book too, describes some moments of that game in great detail.
i knew jj was on his way with this

Just had a look, surprised he doesn't tend to take a few yards off his man to clear from head.Reads the game immensely.Reminded me how you're meant to approach an attacking player with the ball, knees bent, leaning forward and a 45 degree angle to not get nutted.Edit:Jockeying, thats it.Edit: Just watched McGrath, epic defending, was handling two forwards at time, marking the more advanced one and managing to close down the deeper one.

Cannavaro is a soldier though, Unlike other defenders man will put his body on the line to save a goal.Watch his performance along side Nesta in Euro 2000Accompanied by Francesco Toldo, That defence was impenetrable
well evidently not quite
was f*cked the way it happened. but leading up to the finals they were solid