Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers, Sunday 4th October, SS1 13:30

TF S4DK

Arsène Wenger has charged Andrey Arshavin with the job of becoming Arsenal’s talisman.The manager believes his Russian playmaker will rank alongside world greats like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo if he can help the North London side win a trophy this season.Arshavin helped to elevate Zenit St Petersburg to European honours before arriving at Emirates Stadium in February and Wenger argues that the time is right for a repeat at Arsenal."I believe he has a big challenge in front of him,” said the 59-year-old. “He made his team in Russia win and if he manages to make Arsenal win he will become an all-time great."That is the real challenge he faces and I am convinced he has all the potential to do it.”Of course, potential has been present at Arsenal for a few years now,maximising it has proved more difficult. Wenger believes Arshavin can exist in the same category as Messi and Ronaldo, he just needs the trophies to prove it."I think we have many players who are in that bracket and this is a season when they can show it,” he said. “I consider him a great player already but if you want the consideration of everybody else people think about your qualities with trophies.“Yes you can say players like Ryan Giggs can never win a World Cup because Wales never get there. But he shows in his club that he is a great.“I just love Arshavin as a footballer because he has things that are just down to him. He is intelligent and he looks like he is a shrewd street-player because he creates something always in unexpected situations."He has a low centre of gravity, great pace and tricky dribble. He uses all that he has in the locker in an intelligent way and don't forget he is a winner as well."
Arsène Wenger believes that Theo Walcott's club form will determine whether he plays a leading role at next summer's World Cup.The England man is back in the Arsenal squad for Sunday's game against Blackburn after missing the first six weeks of the season with a back problem.This time last year Walcott had just announced himself on the international scene with a stunning hat-trick in the World Cup qualifier in Croatia. His reputation soared overnight and he was first-choice for club and country until a shoulder injury stopped him in his tracks.Wenger is delighted to have the 20-year-old back and believes that further England recognition will follow - if Walcott does the business for Arsenal."It is a big season for him as he wants to win," said Wenger. "I believe that he is not considered any more like a youth player, he is considered a senior player."Of course the expectation level for him is very high because he plays for England. But for me the most important thing is playing well for your club, as the national team is a consequence of the quality of your performances with your club. "I believe it is very simple - great players make their clubs win. So of course it's important [he has a good season]." Walcott faces competition for his place at Arsenal with so many forwards vying for one of the three starting berths in Wenger's new 4-3-3 formation. And the same applies with England as Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright-Phillips try to catch the eye of coach Fabio Capello.Wenger believes Walcott can re-establish himself as the No 1 pick in both sides. "Yes he has the potential to do it, that's why we extended his contract," said the manager. "But you must take this kind of competition as a possibility to become better and not be in a comfort zone. On that flank there is a lot of competition."