Panorama - Reduced To A Four Letter Word - BBC1 8.30

NO SUNSHINE

_46535959_tamalone226.jpgTamanna Rahman spent two months living on a Bristol housing estate for the BBC's Panorama programme Undercover: Hate on the Doorstep.Here she explains her reasons for agreeing to take part in the programme and describes how it felt to be a daily target of racist abuse, both physical and verbal. Her report contains details of racial abuse.In 2000, as a 16-year-old at my culturally and racially diverse Manchester secondary school, I was asked by a local television news team examining the hopes and aspirations of the first class of the new millennium if I felt that racism in Britain was a thing of the past.Fresh-faced, naïve and optimistic, I answered yes; racism is dead.Fast-forward to the summer of 2009 and my answer is very different.What changed? As part of a Panorama programme, I spent two months working undercover on a Bristol housing estate.The assignment came just months after Trevor Phillips, head of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, said in an interview that having neighbours of a different ethnic background is no longer an issue in modern Britain when compared to other countries.The Commission say his comments followed two Mori polls which, it claimed, showed the majority of British people to be increasingly at ease with racial diversity.Before this assignment, even though I had not faced direct racism, some of my friends had and I had begun to notice subtle racism towards others.The opportunity to see first-hand if the problem was really as bad as many friends had indicated, or if they were just isolated incidents, was one I felt I had to take when approached by the BBC to take part.From the moment that my colleague Amil Khan and I drove onto the road that would become our home for the coming months, we were subjected to the coldest glare I have ever experienced.Alone, it might not seem like a big deal - my skin is thick enough to handle a frosty look.But it turned out to be a sign of things to come.Pretty much every time I left the house, and from many people I met, I would get frowns and generally be made to feel unwelcome - whether they were on the street, in their gardens, looking out of their bedroom windows or in their cars.We were new in town, and nobody came to say hello. It took an entire week to be on the receiving end of a single smile and that came from a middle-aged woman I passed in the street.On my second day on the estate I had a rock thrown towards me as I returned from a shopping trip. I was called "Paki" and had obscenities muttered at me as I walked by.This from people who knew nothing about me.Over the course of our investigation I would have glass, a can, a bottle and stones thrown at me.In what was perhaps the most shocking incident of our time on the Southmead estate, Amil was told not to walk on the pavement before being punched in the head by a man who said, "Bye, bye Paki".I was almost mugged three times and threatened with a brick.I was mooned twice, called smelly Paki, and told to take a shower. The abuse, including some of the worst obscenities imaginable, came from children, teenagers and adults.I have been back in Manchester for a few months now, but I still brace myself for trouble whenever I see groups of boys on bikes or teenagers on street corners. Even though the children of Manchester have never had a problem with me, it has now become instinctive.Amil Khan, Panorama reporterAmil Khan was punched in the head while walking down the roadOne of the worst effects was the lack of trust I felt towards anybody and the sense that I must always be on my guard - even if it was just popping to the shops.There is little sense of a mixed community in Southmead and the longer I stayed the more I realised why. The more abuse I received, the less I wanted to go out. The more racism I faced, the less I wanted to talk to anybody. I do not think that I was alone in my feelings.Before we began filming, Southmead was identified to us by the group Support Against Racist Incidents (SARI) as an area where recent racially motivated attacks had occurred. Other estates and areas around the country were also highlighted by race campaign groups.The Southmead estate is mainly white and working class but in recent years more black and minority ethnic people have moved in. Before we moved there to live undercover we spoke to others who had had similar experiences to ours.I feel strongly that neighbourliness is a two-way street, but why would anybody attempt to go out of their way to get to know the community they have moved into, if that community has made you feel unwelcome for no reason but the colour of your skin?If you are a non-English speaker, what incentive would you have to learn the language if the vast majority of communication you are likely to experience is abusive?It must be said that some people were lovely and in an estate like Southmead, many have their own issues to deal with, especially during tough economic times.But I was not looking for special treatment in Southmead, I was looking to be treated like everyone else - not to be reduced to a four letter word that starts with 'P'.Panorama - Undercover: Hate on the Doorstep, BBC One, Monday, 19 October at 2030BST.
Should be interesting...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol @ racism is dead. Racism will never die because stupid people will never die. But with all due respect, was they really going to set up a project like this and then have her come back and say "no there is no racism in britain anymore".

If you are a non-English speaker, what incentive would you have to learn the language if the vast majority of communication you are likely to experience is abusive?
:rolleyes:

when did this country become so racially inflamed. were the most diverse nation on earththis is propaganda innit steven?
When did I say this country is the most diverse nation on earth?When did I ever claim there aren't racists in the UK?You're still hurting over Rachel ending up in the bottom 2 on the x factor?

Still don't under stand how people will try and say "paki" isn't a pejorative term.Remember when I was little and was called a "paki", baffling.Also, does their decision to highlight this yet still have the BNP on question time not seem weird.

racism and stupidity aren't mutually exclusive
:lol:
dunno what that's supposed to meanbut nick griffin has a degree from cambridge and won a full scholarship to an independent school
Defintiely but you catch my driftThey send a woman to a council estate in a mainly white area that has had a high amount of racist attacks and then come back with evidence saying that the UK is still racist. What was they expecting?

Guest No Mark
350, is that it?That's less one racial "incident" a day.Hate the way they go to the most racist place they can find in England, then use it as proof of the "ugly reality of British racism".
SARI deal with 350 per year, not every police force in the country.

Innit.She's deliberately inciting racism. She's walking round in a headscarf and pretending not to speak English.Not that that's justification, but if she put her hair in a ponytail and put a pair of jeans on I bet them youths wouldn't be saying anything.
Clearly, as this guy is doing the same.

Innit.She's deliberately inciting racism. She's walking round in a headscarf and pretending not to speak English.Not that that's justification, but if she put her hair in a ponytail and put a pair of jeans on I bet them youths wouldn't be saying anything.
Why should she have to?

Why should she have to?
She doesn't "have to". But she, you and I are all well aware that she is dressing in a way that will provoke ignorant people who aren't in tune with other cultures to behave like idiots.Like I said, that doesn't justify their behaviour.She should just tell them to f*ck off and keep it moving like any normal person would, not stand there meekly indulging their behaviour and letting them make more and more comments.