Middlesbrough: We can still be friends

Guest R9

Middlesbrough have announced that manager Gareth Southgate has been 'relieved of his duties'. Boro have endured an in-different start to the Championship season following relegation from the Premier League last term.Southgate has been in charge at Boro for over three years after taking over in the summer of 2006 from Steve McClaren - who left to take charge of England.Boro actually won on Tuesday evening to end a three-match losing streak at home - but the crowd against Derby County was less than 18,000 - the lowest league attendance ever at The Riverside.Now chairman Steve Gibson has made the decision to axe Southgate, the first manager he has ever sacked as Boro supremo."This has been the most difficult decision I've had to make in all the time I've been in football," said Gibson - who also confirmed the departure of football consultant Alan Smith."Gareth has given Middlesbrough Football Club magnificent service as a skipper and, in very difficult circumstances, as manager."I appointed Gareth in a situation that was greatly unfavourable to him. "He is a good man and has all the qualities and integrity that we wanted in a manager. "However, the time is right for change and that change has had to be made."Gareth will always be welcome at our football club. English football needs people of his stature and we feel certain that this experience will serve him well. "Gareth deserves another opportunity once he has had the chance to rest and refresh himself."Speculation has been rife in recent days that Southgate was on borrowed time following defeat to Watford at the weekend.Former Celtic boss Gordon Strachan is emerging as one of the favourites to take charge, whilst the likes of Kevin Keegan, David O'Leary, Alan Curbishley and Boro legend Graeme Souness have also been mentioned.

^^YupOnly 17k turned up for the match yesterday, and I believe that was the highest in a little whileThe fans/players have no confidence in him, they seem fed uphe doesn't seem to be able to change things when they are going wrongThe other day he played Hoyte at left back when he could have played Arca, Hoyte proceeded to be Hoyte and therefore sh*tAt one point, he hadYakubuMaccaroniViducaJimmy Flloyd HasslebainkUp frontThey were sold and some unproven, and what proved to be dire performers were brought inBoro are 4th in a very tight league, spose they think a newmanager can add some new confidence, and new ideas for themBecause that certainly wasn't happening with SouthgateGood manager tactically though, he didnt take over in good circumstances, and he will be back and do better next time I'm sure.But when they players have no confidence in you, theres not much that can be done

broke club had to get rid of big wages17k is goodboro is the poorest place in the uk....doing well this season playing good football