R.I.P Robert Enke

MrJibbles

Hannover and Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke has died, German police have confirmed.According to police reports, the 32-year-old was struck by a train at a level crossing close to his home in Neustadt Eilvese and died at the scene.Hannover's president Martin Kind confirmed the news, telling Bild on Tuesday: "I received news of his death around 19:35."Enke was omitted from the Germany squad for their upcoming friendly matches against Chile, on Saturday, and the Ivory Coast next Wednesday despite having recovered from a virus which had kept him out of action for almost two months.His national team colleagues learned the news after training in Bonn on Tuesday."We are all shocked," said Germany's general manager Oliver Bierhoff. "We are lost for words."The president of the German Football Association (DFB) Dr Theo Zwanziger added that he and the rest of the football community in Germany "are deeply distressed and in mourning"."All our sympathy goes to the wife of Robert Enke and his family," he added on the DFB's website.

RIP

Tributes are being paid as the world of football mourns Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke, who died after being hit by a train in an apparent suicide.Enke, 32, was struck by a train at a level crossing near Hanover.Oliver Bierhoff, the German football team's general manager, said: "We are all shocked. We are lost for words."Germany cancelled Wednesday's scheduled training session and all interview appointments following the death of the Hannover 96 player.However a news conference has been scheduled for 1130 GMT (12.30pm German time).Fans flocked to his club's Niedersachsen Stadium overnight to lay flowers and light candles at the gates in memory of their captain, who had joined them in 2004. Hundreds more queued on Wednesday morning to sign an official book of condolence. ROBERT ENKERobert EnkeBorn: 24/8/77, Jena, East GermanyDebut: 1995-96Clubs: Carl Zeiss Jena, Borussia Monchengladbach, Benfica, Barcelona, Fenerbahce, Tenerife, Hannover 96Germany debut: 27/3/07 versus Denmark Caps: 8Awards: Bundesliga goalkeeper of the season 2008-09Hannover 96 removed all links to its regular website content, replacing them with a black page showing the simple words: "Wir trauern um Robert Enke" ("We are mourning Robert Enke").Germany's friendly against Chile on Saturday may be postponed. When asked about such a possibility, the general secretary of the German national federation, Wolfgang Niersbach, said: "It's hard to say anything at this point in time. We have to collect our thoughts. It's terrible, we are stunned."Enke was not in the squad for that match, having recently recovered from a virus, though many expected him to be the number one goalkeeper for the World Cup.Germany's 1974 World Cup winner Franz Beckenbauer told Bild newspaper: "I feel endless loss and sorrow. When you receive news such as this, all other problems seem small."Theo Zwanziger, president of the national federation, said: "Robert was a wonderful man, who had to cope with several blows of fate." Enke's daughter Lara died aged two in 2006 of a rare heart condition.Enke started his career at Carl Zeiss Jena and club spokesman Andreas Trautmann said: "The right words don't exist for such a tragedy. We are shocked and our thoughts are with Robert's family. They have our heartfelt sympathies."Jena, now in the German third division, will open a condolence book for Enke, with the intention that it will be passed on to his family.German goalkeeper dies in 'suicide'The death caused shockwaves across Europe, at the various clubs where the goalkeeper had plied his trade.Enke's former team-mate at Portuguese club Benfica, Nuno Gomes, told the club's website: "I find it hard to believe that he has died. It is a tremendous loss for world football, the loss of a man of rare qualities in our time. It is very sad news."I remember how he was just a young kid when he came here but, from day one, he made a great effort to learn our language and did it very quickly. He was a young kid with a huge desire to reach his goals and learn, a man with a capital M."The club's current goalkeeper Moreira added: "I am shocked. All the memories I have are good ones. As a professional, he was one of the best to pass through Benfica and he learned to speak Portuguese in three months."If it was not for [Tuesday's] tragic accident, I'm sure he would have played in the World Cup." 606: DEBATEThe thoughts of all football fans should be with his family at this awful timeAdamLeedsUnitedThe two Spanish clubs Enke played for, CD Tenerife and Barcelona, paid their condolences to his family.Kevin Kuranyi, a striker for Schalke 04, told Bild: "It really can't and should not be true. Robert was such a great person. I don't know how I should tell my wife, she is good friends with Robert's wife. I feel for his family."The German national federation posted a range of further tributes to the player:• Christian Wulff (Prime Minister of Lower Saxony): "Germany loses an exceptional athlete and a very compassionate man. He was a role model."• Michael Vesper (General Director of the National Olympic Committee): "I am shaken to the core. Our thoughts are with his family. This is a tragedy."• Martin Kind (President of Hannover 96): "An absolute catastrophe, which I still cannot grasp."• Ewald Lienen (former coach of Robert Enke with Hannover 96): "This loss is beyond words. I feel endless regret and sorrow that he was in such as situation that led to this final act."