Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rippy

FAO Bookworms

52 posts in this topic

Since I have taken the week off work, I'm in search of new reading material.Atm, I'm in the midst of finishing 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' By Larsson.& a couple of guides into the stock markets etc...So, what's on your present to-read list?Share some recommendations (of any genre), please.

reading book of dave whilst also reading 1984, Gulliver's travels and ghost hunteri recommend none of em

10 Years Of TalksportI've never laughed so hard and coming close to tears of laughter while reading a book in years. The stories of Alan Brazil not making it to the studio or some making it are something else. To read where they come from to how they covered Euro 2000 matches in a hotel room with giant tvs and a lawyer present to make sure they did say it was unofficial coverage to the rise to them being bought out to them bringing in big names.If you enjoy the station you will enjoy this, can't put this book down.

Down and Out in Paris and London by George OrwellVivid accounts of real poverty in the early 20th century, really interesting

IC3 edited by Courttia Newland and Kadija Sesay

The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway is a very good read.

Read anything by Charles Bukowski. It's mostly about drinking and tryna mac on chicks.

Recently Read:Miranda July - Noone Belongs Here More Than YouBret Easton Ellis - American PsychoErlend Loe - Naive. Super.Irvine Welsh - GlueIrvine Welsh- EcstasyStephen Chbosky - The Perks Of Being A WallflowerPeter Jinks - Hallam FoeI reccommend all of them. It's a pretty mixed bag too, I'm sure there'll be at least one or 2 you'll like in amongst that bunch.

Half way through We Were Soldiers Once And Young....About the first hand accounts and experiances from the battle of la Drang during the Vietnam War. Where in 2 days of fighting over 300 Americans were killed and over 300 injured. And as for the Vietnamese losses, triple the US numbers.Soul wrenching, horrific and extremely difficult to read at certain points.

reading 1984i recommend none of em
:confused:
i'll fess upi only read the first few pages and i aint intrigued tbhenglish lit is a longers sometimes, had to read some of the most dowie books

just finishin off mafia: the 1st 100 yearsits good still.

Bill Bryson - A short history on nearly everythingthats ofcourse if you have an interest in quantum physics & science in general

reading books at night with a cup of hot choc in your bed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I like the sound of that Vietnam one.
Trust me mate.Worst part(s) were described when this bloke has single handedly held off an entire platoon of Vietcong for hours, when in his last stand his final moments are revealed by his general standing 20 yards away but could not do anything, graphic...very. Or when they call in a "Broken Arrow" and 2 massive canisters of napalm hit friendlies, again very graphic.

I like the sound of that Vietnam one.
Trust me mate.Worst part(s) were described when this bloke has single handedly held off an entire platoon of Vietcong for hours, when in his last stand his final moments are revealed by his general standing 20 yards away but could not do anything, graphic...very. Or when they call in a "Broken Arrow" and 2 massive canisters of napalm hit friendlies, again very graphic.
Sounds big, thats shits getting ordered off amazon.

1984 & American Psycho were brilliant. Would, most definitely, read again.Irvine Welsh wrote Trainspotting, right? That was a v. good read (as was the film); will look into those mentioned.& I've Always been a fan of biographies so I might check out that Orwell one, too.

1984? u mean the one u read in english lit?that book was trash imo

John Steinbeck - Cannery Row. Don't sleep on the classics.