Is it possible to 'develop' work ethic?

Michel Kane

They always say that work ethic > natural talent, or is at the very leasty just as equal.I just don't believe that a good work ethic is a 'natural' trait, whatever that is, so how does one develop it, or imrpoves, because judging by the users on this forum for example, lol, we could all achieve more by applying ourselves more productively...Discuss.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can develop your work ethic by understanding what it is motivates you.. I don't want to bore people with behavioural studies but there are intrinsic and extrinsic factors that motivate you. Intrinsic is stuff thats inside you, like how some people just enjoy working hard or doing things perfect or just enjoy their job.. while most people are motivated by the extrinsic factors which is like the pay, or promotion etc.. if you're motivated by extrinsic factors like most people I guess you just gotta realise that the harder you work, the more you will be rewarded in the end, as long as you work for a place that can actually reward you, whether by raises, recognition, promotion etc etc..

you can develop your work ethic by understanding what it is motivates you.. I don't want to bore people with behavioural studies but there are intrinsic and extrinsic factors that motivate you. Intrinsic is stuff thats inside you, like how some people just enjoy working hard or doing things perfect or just enjoy their job.. while most people are motivated by the extrinsic factors which is like the pay, or promotion etc.. if you're motivated by extrinsic factors like most people I guess you just gotta realise that the harder you work, the more you will be rewarded in the end, as long as you work for a place that can actually reward you, whether by raises, recognition, promotion etc etc..
You got any online articles or e-books on that, I'm interested still./@Thun, but how do you explain those, who have shitty jobs yet still carry a strong work ethic, because there loadsa that do.

@Thun, but how do you explain those, who have shitty jobs yet still carry a strong work ethic, because there loadsa that do.
Its a belief they will get noticed to get promoted or a pay riseI think its positive to have a strong work ethic in most instancesIt does help if you enjoy your job as trying to have a have a strong work ethic but you hate your job can be soul destroying

You can develop work ethic.. By working. A lot. lol.It all comes down to self motivation and drive at the end of the day because no matter how much you love your job you can get sick with it if your drive to work and succeed dries out.. Once you set yourself goals, such as promotion, pay rise etc, then you become more motivated to work and succeed and thats what keeps me on my toes.Also, I reckon it comes down to what your parents have taught you about the real life and how it is in the "real work world" and how you take that on boardWorking for 7 weeks without a day off >>>>>>>>> __

I think i'm on the border.If something needs to be done that requires work ethic, I will do it to the point where it's done but never beyond that.A phrase that I've heard throughout my life whether it be football or school/college is 'he does just enough'.Pretty much sums me upBut I have been making a conscious effort over the last year or so to right that.

You got any online articles or e-books on that, I'm interested still./@Thun, but how do you explain those, who have shitty jobs yet still carry a strong work ethic, because there loadsa that do.
not on this laptop I don't have any good links, this one is touches on it and mentions other motivation theories http://www.goal-setting-guide.com/motivation-theory.html , but the wiki page is a decent enough start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivation#Intrinsic_and_extrinsic_motivation but also google Maslows hierarchy of needs

You can develop work ethic.. By working. A lot. lol.
real talk but it only lasts so long for me
c/sbut hope it lasts forever..I used to take 90 mins lunch + a few fresh air breaks throughout.. Noticed the chinese weren't doing this... They come in, 60 mins lunch..... thats it!!! Took some time to copy the routine, but now, I do the same.. I don't even go and jam in the toilet to waste time anymore