Joint Enterprise

imhim

500 convicted killers could walk free from jail after Supreme Court rules that law of 'joint enterprise' has been wrongly interpreted by judges for THIRTY YEARS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3452576/Hundreds-convicted-criminals-including-murderers-appeal-sentences-High-Court-ruled-law-joint-enterprise-wrongly-interpreted-judges-30-years.html#ixzz40WQdQilg

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Daily Mail writers>>>>>>

Masters of their craft

point 3 is nonsense

id like to know specifics before i could comment

but i wouldn't save an afghan just because he's a brown bastard

i bet this 'brother' was highly involved in the crime

re:point 3

They couldnt well mos of them understand why you would go up london to just chill with minimal funds, and even the prosecution tried to say that too.

I was like ''look im not a defender of what happens but you're telling me youve never went west end and just done nothing but had fun''

That's what i meant by them judging from their position and not understanding the lifestyles or people

Plenty other things they couldnt understand cos they wouldnt do it themselves

It wasn't a case of me saving him because he was black. 

I just tried to take time to understand all the evidence. 

I know it don't help that i cant remember the whole case in full. 

But i remember one thing that stood out which i didnt even know at the time

One other black lady said 2 me after the case

that she was watching the police office who was in charge of the whole case when the prosecution and defense were doing their summary and they basically try and persuade you.

The guys defense said something along the lines of

''This guy didnt do it. He said all that he can in the interview, without a solicitor (he knows the process) named all of the other people involved and when the police found and interviewed them, they all either said no comment or denied everything. But this guy tells you exactly what happens in his words at the first available opportunity and didnt know that the victims had already given their statements and the majority of it matches up. I put it to you that we have the wrong guy in the dock and the other 5 should be here''

She said when the defense said that, she looked at the lead officer and she (officer) was nodding her head in agreement. That's when for her (the juror that told me this) she knew defenetly that she couldnt let this jury send him down. 

from what i remember

Basically a group of boys from Croydon went up west end to chill on a friday night. 1 black guy, 5 white guys. They jumped on buses, and ended up chilling at the bridge that links to the southbank on the southside. chilling on the steps. they had shared 1 £12.99 bottle of courvoiser between them, they were all 17yrs old one was 14

two white guys who had met each other in a club were walking along both by their own admission were 'not paraletic but drunk, more than typsy' and cwalked past the group. the black guy said 2 one of them what you looking at, one said nothing, they walked past. (in the statements and doc, one of them claimed the group were shouting homophobic remarks at them) 

They walked past the group and got i dont know how far in front of them and one of the group said ''come we get their phones''. the black guy said llow it, but the original guy ran after them, then the rest followed and the black guy followed last.

The victims ran as they knew they were getting chased, one was faster and got away, the main victim got tripped up and kicked in. The friend hid and called feds and said he could see his friend getting attacked but didnt see the black guy do anything. The black guy claimed he tried to stop one of his boys but couldnt fully restrain him so then said ''do whatever your doing im not involved'' 

Victims phone droped out and they group took it and splurted, all except the black guy. He walked away slowly, victim got to his feet, caught up with black guy and got in his face saying ''you got my phone!'' black guy replied, i aint got your f*cking phone, search me if you want''

Lets victim search him, obviously he finds nothing, asks him if he will help him find his phone. Black guy says yes, but says im not from london and aint got any money to get home have you got some change for my oyster. Victim gives him change. They walk back to the spot together where incident happened, victim offers black guy cigarrette which was where his oyster card was insdie the box.

They are walking, baring in mind all this happens in about 10 mins from attack to when victim and black guy are approached by plain clothes officers.

When approched, they both go silent, / surprised , according to officer, and victim said, ''this black guy has robbed me, and i was too scared to leave'' black guy says'' you know i didnt rob you, it was my boys''

In the doc, victim said the group was all black guys and 2 girls, friend who got away said all white group no girls. 

Black guy lied about how he got to london (bumping buses, using oyster cards etc)

Black guy has had robbery previous, but we were only ''allowed' to us ehis previous against him if we felt that he was trying to create a false impression by being nice to victim after the robbery. if not then we have to disregard that. 

Got to also consider the cases were jail is fully deserved, eg that honey trap bitch.

This

wasn't joint enterprise, she was directly involved in a conspiracy.

joint enterprise is about the innocent people who were with an offender at the time of the offence. 

• 8 months later...

JE Appeal has been rejected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37821764

• 1 year later...
On 10/31/2016 at 10:50 AM, FA23 said:

JE Appeal has been rejected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37821764

Just saw this article

‘Miscarriage of justice’: Brothers jailed for murder despite CCTV proving they weren’t even there

Two brothers jailed for murder despite CCTV footage showing they weren’t actually at the scene at the time of the killing are victims of a grave miscarriage of justice, their mother says. She has vowed to continue fighting for their release.

Asher and Lewis Johnson were each sentenced to a minimum of 16-and-a-half years for the murder of Thomas Cudjoe, 29. Another man, Jerome Green, stabbed Cudjoe to death as he sat in the driver’s seat of a Ford Focus at a garage forecourt near a pub in Ilford, east London, in November 2012.

The brothers, both in their 20s, were jailed under joint enterprise law. They never touched the murder weapon and left the scene before the fatal stabbing took place.

“You don’t realize how unfair the justice system is until you’re involved in it,” their mother Gillian Hyatt told RT.

“I just don’t know how they found them guilty, I just don’t. Even at their appeal it was admitted that the boys couldn’t have had knowledge [that Green would kill Cudjoe], yet their appeal was still dismissed. It just doesn’t make sense.”

On the night of the murder, the Johnsons and Cudjoe got into an altercation that lasted 25 seconds outside the pub. As more people arrived, the brothers withdrew from the scene to distance themselves from any trouble, their lawyers say.

CCTV footage played in court shows the Johnsons leaving the forecourt before Green arrives and stabs Cudjoe to death. Despite this, the Johnsons, along with Green, were found guilty of murder under joint enterprise law.

The joint enterprise doctrine states that a person who assists or encourages a crime can be held just as legally responsible as the person who actually carries it out. It only requires a defendant to “foresee” that a member of a group might intentionally cause someone else serious harm.

Hyatt says her sons could not have foreseen the murder, as there was no planned attack or common enterprise between them and Green. She says they were found guilty by association and through a false narrative they were part of a “gang.”

“[Asher] was a youth worker. He had never been in trouble before. He was playing football, and his good character was kept off the trial. Because of that, they don’t look at you as an individual person - they label you as a ‘gang’ member when that’s not true," she said.

Crown prosecutors said the killing had been an agreed revenge attack on Cudjoe, who had been acquitted six months earlier for the attempted murder of one of their friends.

“They found my sons guilty by association,” Hyatt said.

“When Asher was 16, [Crown prosecutors] said he was stopped in a car with one of [Cudjoe’s] victims. That’s basically eight, nine years before the trial.

“Just because my son got a lift, they’re associating him with one of [Cudjoe’s] victims. Because of that ‘association,’ they put a story together of a revenge attack.”

The Supreme Court ruled last year that joint enterprise law had been “misinterpreted” for three decades, having taken a“wrong turn” in the 1980s. It said it was wrong to treat “foresight” as a sufficient test to convict a defendant, and that juries had to decide on the “whole evidence.”

The Johnsons' case was brought as a 'test' on the discredited doctrine just a few months later, but they were unsuccessful in their appeal. Lord Thomas said the court was satisfied that there was no injustice in their case.

59f07de9fc7e930f1f8b4572.jpg
Asher Johnson © Gillian Hyatt

“The system is unfair. You can’t win - they’ve set it that way,” Hyatt said.  

“After they were convicted, [we] lost a lot of hope. Then losing an appeal, you just don’t have a lot of faith or hope in the system.”

Having exhausted all options for appeal in the UK, Hyatt plans to take the case to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR). Their counsel argues a joint-enterprise conviction is contrary to Article 7 of the European Human Rights Convention, which says there should be “no punishment without law.”

Campaign group JENGbA, or Joint Enterprise Not Guilty by Association, supports over 800 prisoners, the youngest of which is just 13. Almost 80 percent of JENGbA prisoners are from black and ethnic minority (BAME) communities.

Those convicted under joint enterprise include an autistic man who never touched the weapon or knew it existed, and 11 young black men in Manchester convicted through “racial stereotypes” linking them to a gang.