Nas appreciation thread

Corrigan

Too much blasphemy going on in this thread.illmatic was 15 years ago, so I can understand why 90s babies prefer Diplomats/Rick Ross/Jeezy. They have good albums themselves and talk about more youth orientated things then Nas does now.But anyone who says thisMy name is beloved I come from the pastWith insects crawling on me like I'm dead, I don't eat I just fastI don't beef I just blast, Gods son, blood on my palmI left the cross horny white nun's suckin me offAnd black dike ones, dressed up like Bush identical maskI f*ck 'em hard with a sinister laughAnd puff on cigar like Tony MontanaMe and Sony got problemsIf I die they say I'm only a martyrStep to me I'm braver, do me a favorPut two in my waves, you can be paidThe label puts you in my placeI'm Jewish like Sammie Davis JuniorHolding a Louis suitcase with Colin Powell chopped in piecesNow I'm locked up with psycho's who eat they fecesCall the hearts break me out and I reveal deep secretsAbout this street sh*t that y'all so obsessed byI rep my, niggas to the death while the rest lie, the rest die, I'm brave Can't be f*cked with lyrically.

Some of Nas' best verses are the random ones. We all know his commercial album verses so lets make this thread about those not-so-well-known verses.Chipped tooth donNasty, blue ice timbs onScrew face, half moon part, my tatoos darkOn a scale of tough criminals, nothin to call meI'm a rare individual, young and I'm bossyGuees it come from a rough life, cuffed at nightLettin' off hot lead that bust from iron pipesI'm the type that have you shed bloodPray to the ghost of dead thugs, dead blocks that spread drugsFled from the cops 'till my first joint droppedI'm still wit my hood, hollow points still in the glockBut I've been shitted on by these high class hoesEven these chickens did me wrong, I was just gettin' onSo I turned cold, givin 'em hard d*ck and straight to the holeLike Rod Strickland, it was takin' it's tollI needed someone I could hold in my darkest hoursA strong couple is a blessing and the heart is the powerGive me someone I could trust, not just a hotty to boneDoes she love Escobar, or love Nasir Jones?Let me know so I could cop her the stonesWhat's clear to me, it's sinceritySomebody I could call my own, yeah

You can't be me, I'm tryin to walk a straight lineWhy they tryin to take mine? I'm past +8 Miles+ of every state lineEating, alligators and, hummingbird heartsAt the player's ball, Brianni suits, y'all birds watchAs real millionaire, sh*t'll take placeEvil as Hitler's hate-race peopleThis is God son, and I've come from the God under pure peaceTo represent the streets, you'll see that my planis not to destroy your manBut to bring more to mankind and teachEvery MC reach for your pens and papersLesson one be creative; what you made of junior?Cause soon you'll be a grown man with the mic in your handAnd understand, to battle Nas not in your planI'm the last real nigga alive, understand thatAnd you my offspring, the boss stingA bulletproof Porsche things, hard for you to understand thatNas the king, where my bricks, where my band at?Play me a gangster's theme, while you entertain meIf I ain't cryin laughin, to the lions, throw your ass inWhat the f*ck was you niggaz thinkin?Guns'll clutch if I get a inklin that you comin for the kingpinBut I laugh at you cowards, ha ha haTake me out, try try try, but you1st nas tune i heard

Some of Nas' best verses are the random ones. We all know his commercial album verses so lets make this thread about those not-so-well-known verses.Chipped tooth donNasty, blue ice timbs onScrew face, half moon part, my tatoos darkOn a scale of tough criminals, nothin to call meI'm a rare individual, young and I'm bossyGuees it come from a rough life, cuffed at nightLettin' off hot lead that bust from iron pipesI'm the type that have you shed bloodPray to the ghost of dead thugs, dead blocks that spread drugsFled from the cops 'till my first joint droppedI'm still wit my hood, hollow points still in the glockBut I've been shitted on by these high class hoesEven these chickens did me wrong, I was just gettin' onSo I turned cold, givin 'em hard d*ck and straight to the holeLike Rod Strickland, it was takin' it's tollI needed someone I could hold in my darkest hoursA strong couple is a blessing and the heart is the powerGive me someone I could trust, not just a hotty to boneDoes she love Escobar, or love Nasir Jones?Let me know so I could cop her the stonesWhat's clear to me, it's sinceritySomebody I could call my own, yeah

u got a link 4 that ?/

I spend nights on corners, see the crack, cop my first macNo longer scared to pump what y'all pump, now I burst backIt hurts that, don't seem cream can make my purse fatWithout the benefits of a doubt, I hit the hearst blackBut curse that, tryin to see Nas was your worst matchBlowin like Tahitii, throw off NYPDAm I greedy? like I mean EDC meIn a fly Salinii gimme frames in the beanieI flip my loot twice a week on my most trifest streetsYou got no right to eat by the laws of life you keepAin't no love lost, none taken, none givinStressin how I'm livin it, thinkin when my loot first camelook what I did with it, bought my click glaciersand pagers, rollin ten deep to Las VegasCopped a live croc, chopped it up, hit my block offwit gators, feedin peoples, from the bridge to DequatasBut now, two years five months and 30 days laterI still put out the street flavorBut watch that kid right there, a bulge in his night wearAwoke me up the ways I used to be in my heist yearsBubble eye small fry loaded four fivejust thirstin for some person with shine to just walk byNow that I can see the 360, now that its me thats jiggythem cooly heads they wanna stick me, whoa

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

illmatic-xx.jpg

Nas has announced he'll be releasing a special 20th anniversary edition of his debut album Illmatic, appropriately titled Illmatic XX. The album will come out on April 15, four days away from its original April 19 release date in 1994. Illmatic XX will include a remastered disc of Illmatic, as well as an extra disc of demos, remixes, and unreleased records from that era of Nas' career. Illmatic XX is available for pre-order on iTunes now. One of the remixes, "It Ain't Hard to Tell (Stink Mix)," can be streamed over at Rap Genius.

"With Illmatic, I didn't think about it. I just did it," Nas says of his iconic debut album. "I believe everybody has good instincts. Now I’m a man from that past and I'm supremely grateful. There's a Nigerian proverb ‘What is past is prologue’. I'm here today because of Illmatic."

Nas will also be touring this year to celebrate this milestone for Illmatic, where he plans to perform the whole album front to back. Thus far he has confirmed performances at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, as well as Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival. More show dates will be released in the near future. Nas also plans on releasing a documentary, Time is Illmatic, later this year.

Check out the tracklisting for Illmatic XX below.

Disc 1: Remastered original album

1. The Genesis

2. N.Y. State Of Mind

3. Life’s A Bitch

4. The World Is Yours

5. Halftime

6. Memory Lane (Sittin’ In Da Park)

7. One Love

8. One Time 4 Your Mind

9. Represent

10. It Ain’t Hard To Tell

Disc 2: Demos, Remixes & Live Radio

1. I’m A Villain (previously unreleased)

2. The Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito Show on WKCR October 28, 1993 (previously unreleased freestyle)

3. Halftime (Butcher Remix)

4. It Ain’t Hard To Tell (Remix)(promo single)

5. One Love (LG Main Mix)

6. Life’s A Bitch (Arsenal Mix)(promo single)

7. One Love (One L Main Mix)

8. The World Is Yours (Tip Mix)

9. It Ain’t Hard To Tell (The Stink Mix)(UK single)

10. It Ain’t Hard To Tell (The Laidback Remix)(UK single)

• Upvote 1

Swear it means mixed down again  OLD quality to new... like when they remaster VHS to DVD

//

need to get this ..still pissed for missing that nas & marley ting few years back

So, so pissed.

Wish they would come back even though i doubt they will, Nas is decent by himself, but Marley adds that extra element, incredible live performer from what i've heard.

Nas says writing his "Street Dreams" drama on Xbox has been "really therapeutic."

Nas' Street Dreams, the rapper's upcoming autobiographical drama series on Xbox, is set to be a genuine portrayal of the rapper's life, he says.

"I'm hands-on with everything, so this show is 100 percent authentic," Nas says in an interview with Rolling Stone. "Even if I don't look cool in it, I just want it to be real and raw. I didn't see this as a full autobiography at first. But I have so much that's happened in my life already. There was no room for fantasy. I wanted it to be entertaining, but everything from my life seemed to be so strong. It's all reality. There's nothing from my life I didn't want in there."

Nas, who is not set to act in the series, is slated to contribute music and co-write episodes of the program, something that he says has been cathartic.

"It's really therapeutic," Nas says. "I look back and I think about my mom [Anne Jones, who pa##ed away in 2002] and I know she's looking down. Sometimes, I have a conversation with her, like, 'Did you ever think that our story would be put to film for people to see? Did you know it was that special back then?' I felt it was that special.

This is life. I have to accept that and that's what writing this is like."

Looking back at his career, Nas also says he is proud of what he accomplished 20 years ago with the release of his debut album, Illmatic.

"It's like I gave myself a fortieth birthday present 20 years ago," Nas says. "It gives me a reference piece to look at myself and for me to analyze my life and what i've come from, my accomplishments, my dreams."

Beyond his Illmatic anniversary project, Nas also says a new album is coming "sometime in 2014" and that after illmaticXX "comes fresh new music."