Phone Contract Question

A Bit Better

Recently got a new contract at Phones4U (around the 5th of this month) and was told it was £45 a month. I asked if that was inclusive of VAT and they said yes and I emphasised that I didn't want any bullshit extra charges like VAT coz then it's not really £45. They said that wouldn't happen.Got my bill today and it says £45 plus VAT so is around £51. I'm going to Phones4U tomorrow... What can I expect? What should I even be asking for!?Now as far as I know they've broken the law by promising one thing verbally even if I signed a contract. Something to with verbal assurances that my housemate told me a few years ago. But he's on holiday atm so can't ask him about it. Anyone that's worked in a phone shop experienced anything like this and know what the outcome was?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from experience of getting contracts through phones4u, they will make up some bullshit like they didnt say it, unless its written down somewhere i dont think you will get anywhere, their customer aftercare is sh*t, they have such high weekly targets that they will say anything to you to get you to buy the contract and then afterwards they dont give a f*ck

i owe vodafone over a grand (granted partly because of my own lack of control with my phone) because they talked me into a second contract that i couldnt afford, dont know how they managed to do it but it just proves they work some magic on you just to get you to sign your soul over to them
damn homiewhat did they say to sell it to you

Hmm, from what I know, all descriptions (of a product they are selling) be it verbal, implied or written must be accurate. If they mislead you, you could say they have breached the contract and you may be able to report them. I see no reason why this wouldn't apply to this situation. Your problem may be proving it. you called up the network?!

Yeah see....

Section 13(1) provides that where the buyer is sold goods by description, the goods must correspond with this description.Harlington v. Christopher Hull[6] held that this implied term may only be breached if the buyer relied upon the description.
Damn you for making me go to my stat extracts as well. I assume telling you a contract phone was a certain price falls under this../Don't take my word for gospel, I can't stand contract law.+http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?r.s=sc&r.l1=1073861169&r.lc=en&r.l3=1074027367&r.l2=1074400662&type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073792522

basically i had a 300 something phonebill, and they said if i took a second contract with a higher tariff then just paid off the other one gradually it would work out cheaper, or something like that, it was years ago i cant remember the ins and outs, but i got mugged off basically, by the time i got home i regretted it, but by then its 2 late, so after another 2 months of not being able to pay my bills i just cancelled the contract and got a bill for the the remainder of the contract, still havent paid a penny though

basically i had a 300 something phonebill, and they said if i took a second contract with a higher tariff then just paid off the other one gradually it would work out cheaper, or something like that, it was years ago i cant remember the ins and outs, but i got mugged off basically, by the time i got home i regretted it, but by then its 2 late, so after another 2 months of not being able to pay my bills i just cancelled the contract and got a bill for the the remainder of the contract, still havent paid a penny though
You must have some credit rating. I'd try and get that sh*t sorted if you hope to get a loan/mortgage in the future tbh

Cooling off period is discretionary.Statuatory is only 7 days from receipt of goods.And if you signed the contract in store, you don't have that 7 days. It is in effect instantly.Write to them Eks. Don't have a conversation with a d*ckhead store worker. Pretty much guaranteed they'll either get mouthy, or just ignore you completely.Keep correspondence of everything and go in like a bull in a china shop. Threaten legal action and referral to trading standards if they don't respond and sort it out within 7 working days.You're extra f*cked because it's christmas and the post will be f*cked up until at least early January.

And P.S. A verbal contract is as binding as a written, even if it is your word against their's.Even if it takes a month or so to sort out due to the post, make sure you send everything recorded, and keep copies. That way if it ever gets any further, you can prove you acted in good time, and accordingly.

Guest Triple XXX
You must have some credit rating. I'd try and get that sh*t sorted if you hope to get a loan/mortgage in the future tbh
what i was thinkin credit rating must be f*cked

I work for Phones 4 u and tbh I doubt they will do anything for you. I've got a ruthless manager can sell anything to anyone and rarely tries to help custoemrs out just refers them to customer services.The cooling off period doesn't really exist any more. The contracts say you can swap for a non -like for like handset within 14 days but apparently this has changed, you can swap for a like for like handset within 14 days or send it off for repair thats about it.Anything you buy from P4U you can't refund, whether it be pre-pay phones, accessories etc etcContracts you defo can't cancel, and if you do will pay 18/24 months x your bill which is usually £30-£40What I do suggest is keeping your temper, because if you get funny the manager will literally do nothing and leave you stood there fuming.my bet is they refer you to customer services anyway so you're probably best calling the first saves a wasted journey.(p.s before working or p4u I got f*cked over by them, put in official complaints and all sorts, there was a three way call between me, H.O and the sales consultant and he blatently lied about everythign he promised so it's your word against theirs and they will lie. Dont ask why I ended up working there :s just a Christmas thing tbh)

Anything you buy from P4U you can't refund, whether it be pre-pay phones, accessories etc etc
Wrong.Anything you purchase you can return under your statutory rights.What floor managers tell to their employees in order to make difficult life for customers doesn't over-ride this.Contracts you can cancel within 7 days provided you bought online, upgraded online, or took the contract away from the store before signing it.