Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aquaman

Bare Bones Setup

12 posts in this topic

Lookin to just try make a few tuneswhat essentials would you reccomend. Bare in mind this is just to start off. Input appreciated

Recording vocals aswell?But yh bare bones = laptop/pc + software of your choice and some decent headphones that can pick up a good freq range for mixing purposesIn terms of software, i reccommend you get something like ASIO for all if you got a sh*t soundcard and want to use high end-vstis on fl studio like me

Do you mean in terms of software or just hardware? I've got the most basic setup going, my laptop's 5 yrs old, i got Reason 4 and a free copy of Cubase. I would suggest you don't start with fruity and go for something a bit more standard, although if u know ppl that do use it then they'll be able to give you a fair amount of help with it. If you're not gonna get monitors, accurate headphones are a must have, I've got sennheiser 280 hd pro, they won't break the bank but the sound quality is good and they're comfortable. Get a MIDI controller, this is the one i've got: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEPHOTON25 it sends midi data to ur computer, meaning u can play along with things rather than draw notes in with ur mouse. it will also come with a free copy of cubase meaning you have access to better audio functions, like time stretching (for instance if you got an acapella that isn't in time with ur beat u can change it's speed without affecting its pitch.)

Ur talking like u can't timestretch in fruity, just that you have to aalso manually reset the pitch everyrtime u stretchFl does everything cubase does it just might be a bit more long winded

All i use is a sh*t midi keyboard ( only cost £100 but a keyboard is a keyboard IMO). I use all cracked software, reason 4, cubase, etc all the best plugins for free. it costs f*ck all to make music. All you need is a midi keyboard and a rapidshare pass.

Ur talking like u can't timestretch in fruity, just that you have to aalso manually reset the pitch everyrtime u stretchFl does everything cubase does it just might be a bit more long winded
i didn't think you could timestretch in fruity, but my biggest problem with it is the sequencer, i just think if ur thinking of using something else later on then fruity may not be the best option to start with.

Will I need to cop a good new soundcard?

only if u plan to record, once you've made a tune and u wanna turn it into an audio file you can do it within the program, for any mic recordings/outboard gear (analog effects processors or synths) you'll need a decent audio interface (which is basically an external soundcard) you'll have to play around with the settings within whatever software u choose to minimise any latency tho.

Good RAM. Learn on cubase straight away. @ Beavis, have You got any serious native instruments software on bootleg?Kontakt with the soundbank, or Trilogy esp?A soundcard with midi in if You want to play midi in through a keyboard, depending on Your keyboard skills.

A soundcard with midi in if You want to play midi in through a keyboard, depending on Your keyboard skills.
Nah just get a small USB midi controller