Tomas Rosicky Signs New Contract

Lenny

Czech Republic international midfielder Tomas Rosicky has today signed a new contract with Arsenal Football Club. Twenty-nine year-old Rosicky joined Arsenal in May 2006 from Borussia Dortmund and has made 76 appearances for the Gunners, scoring 14 goals. Having missed a proportion of the last two seasons due to injury, Tomas has made significant contributions this season when appearing, helping the team fight for domestic and European honours with his trademark clinical passing and invention. On the international stage, Rosicky has played 69 times for the Czech Republic, having progressed from playing for the Under-15s to the highest level, representing his country at the European Championships in 2000 and 2004, and also at the 2006 World Cup. Commenting on his new deal, Tomas said: “I am so pleased to have signed a new contract with Arsenal. The last two seasons haven’t been easy for me because of injuries but I feel it speaks volumes about the Club’s belief in me for this to be signed, and I truly believe I have a lot left to offer the Club, my team-mates and all the supporters. It’s felt like home since I arrived here four years ago and I believe we’re on the verge of achieving something special together. I’m looking forward to the coming months and hope that together, we are all celebrating at the end of the season.” Manager Arsène Wenger added: “I have spoken many times of Tomas’ class and contribution, not only on the pitch but off it as well, and I very much feel that this new contract reflects that. Tomas’ vision and touch is remarkable and I know that we will all benefit from his input in the coming seasons. Tomas is a special talent and we’re delighted that he has committed his future to Arsenal.” Rosicky is now the 15th Arsenal player who has committed his future to the Gunners since May 2009. Rosicky joins Abou Diaby, Henri Lansbury, Carlos Vela, Eduardo, Sanchez Watt, Alex Song, Nicklas Bendtner, Denilson, Robin Van Persie, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Theo Walcott, Lukasz Fabianski, Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere, who have all recently signed new contracts with the Club. Everyone at the Club looks forward to Tomas’ continued contribution in the coming seasons.

Well he can't do much to deserve a new contract if he has been injured, so giving him a new contract was always going to happen it's not like the club would let him go on a free. Plus when he gets back to full fitness he'll be fine and hopefully the little Mozart we all know.

Glad to see Rosicky with a new deal, if fit he is one of our best players. At the very least it will keep cesc happy.Never really understood the love for Merida on here. Guy has technique but has only ever showed it in glimpses, never really stepped it up and far too many people ahead of him, if he was ever gonna make it he needed a year in the championship last season.Hope we get Gallas tied down for at least another year tbh.

Lol at Wenger.

Arsène Wenger has hinted he may relax his well-established “over-30s” rule to keep William Gallas at Arsenal next season.The centre back has had an exceptional year since losing the captaincy amid controversial circumstances in November 2008.His partnership with Thomas Vermaelen has been at the heart of Arsenal’s revival during December however the pair could be broken up if Gallas is allowed to leave in summer when he contract expires.Wenger has already had preliminary discussions with the player’s agent and further meetings are scheduled this month.The manager normally refuses to give a player over the age of 30 more than a 12-month deal. However, speaking before the game with Bolton, he suggested that rule might be bent for Gallas.“Yes unfortunately that is the rule here,” said Wenger. “But for a centre back you can be a bit more comprehensive with the situation. For a striker after 32 you can only give a year. For a defender, we’ll see.“I had a pre-meeting with his agents one month ago. We agreed to meet now at the beginning of the year.”Certainly, Wenger feels Gallas has the aptitude and, more importantly, the attitude to continue his three-and-a-half year stay at Emirates Stadium.“For me William has been amazing the whole season,” remarked the manager.“He does what you dream of as a manager – he does not talk and plays well.“He is an ambitious guy and, when he is 50:50, he plays. For example at West Ham on Sunday, even when he is half-injured with a muscular problem and the physios tell me he might not play, he comes in and tells me he can play.“I have a big respect for what he has done. He wanted to do well as a captain [as well] but what you respect in these situations is how well he responded when he was not captain anymore.“At some stage he have might considered [leaving]. But it is always the same in life, if you have the right attitude then people will rate you. It is a credit to him.“He had the right attitude and maybe now he has maybe found an appetite for the Club again.”

• 1 year later...