BREAKING NEWS: African Cup of Nations 2010

Mr. Gayle

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HORRIFIED Premier League bosses last night called for the African Nations Cup in Angola to be scrapped.Manchester City will hold emergency talks with the FA after their striker Emmanuel Adebayor (left) was caught up in the Togo gun horror.Hull boss Phil Brown wants his two players back home now.He said: "I am appalled. This throws a question mark against next summer's World Cup."You simply cannot put the safety of players, officials and fans at the slightest risk. That is totally unacceptable."I have two players - Daniel Cousin and Seyi Olofinjana - on duty and I want them back home here with us as quickly as possible."Portsmouth, who have four senior players in Africa, also want FIFA to stop the tournament going ahead tomorrow.The Togo team coach driver was killed - and two players injured - when armed fanatics opened fire with machine guns at two buses.Adebayor and other players frantically ducked behind seats as gunshots peppered the bus during a vicious 20-minute attack.Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie said: "This is a terrible, tragic incident and I am very concerned about this whole situation."The safety of all the players must be paramount and that's why I believe they should all come home as soon as possible."We have four out there and, although they are not with the Togo team, you naturally worry about their well-being in the light of such an awful attack."That's why I'll be calling the FA to ask them to contact FIFA as soon as possible to see what is going to happen next."I know what should happen. It's common sense to scrap the tournament and bring them home."Spurs manager Harry Redknapp said: "It's frightening. I agree it's worth considering calling the whole thing off."We can't just sit around and wait for the next shooting."It now seems certain Togo will withdraw but others may follow suit.Chelsea also have four players at the tournament, including star striker Didier Drogba.A spokesman said: "Everyone at Chelsea is shocked but we will wait for information from the relevant authorities."Burnley took a similar stance over Cameroon midfielder Andre Bikey.A spokesman said: "We have spoken to Andre and he is absolutely fine."There are no plans to recall him just yet."Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2801232/Prem-bosses-plead-Call-it-off.html#ixzz0c4REp8N3
Adebayor says Togo want to go homehttp://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/09/emmanuel-adebayor-togo-angola-attackAfrica's biggest year kicks off with a shocking tragedyhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/08/africa-cup-of-nations-angola-previewThe Times have a piece on thishttp://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6981351.ece

Guest Tulse Hill
Country is inept at hosting major sporting events, god for bid when the world cup comes around.
You did that on purpose you little c*nt. Almost took the bait as well.Where can I discuss Ghana's piece of sh*t squad for this competition?
Dominic Adiyayah top scorer,get a tenner on that you little rat

A player actually died, that's soo f*cked up.We aren't doing ourselves any favours, swear.Watched some coverage on Angolan tv and they're hardly mentioning it. Instead they're focusing on what Manucho's top ten kizomba tunes of 2009 :/ Togo should withdraw if they haven't already.

The Togo bus shooting in Cabinda has left three more dead, according to various French sources. In addition to the so far unnamed local bus driver who perished on Friday, assistant coach Abalo Amelete, press officer Stanislas Ocloo, and reserve goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale are said to have passed away.Obilale, a 25-year-old who represented French amateur side GSI Pontivy, was one of two players reported to have suffered gunshot wounds during the Friday attack. He has apparently not survived his injuries, although this is not fully confirmedPontivy coach Alain Le Dour told L'Equipe, "We were called and told this information, but it is not yet formal."It's difficult to get precise information. Yesterday we didn't know where he'd been shot. Then we heard he'd been operated upon successfully and there was talk of his being transferred to South Africa. But officially we don't know anything else."The other player shot was was 22-year-old centre-back Serge Akakpo of Romania's FC Vaslui. He underwent surgery on Friday and is thought to be recovering.Official details have yet to be disclosed regarding the fates of the assistant coach and the press officer, but it is thought that they died before Obilale, making a total of four deaths.The Sparrow Hawks are said to be preparing to return to Lome, the Togolese capital, having abandoned the African Cup of Nations tournament.Reports indicate that prior to leaving the country, the Togolese delegation have been attempting to persuade Ghana and the Ivory Coast - two other teams based in the breakaway province of Cabinda - to quit the competition.Nonetheless the African Cup of Nations itself is still set to go ahead, starting with tomorrow's opening match between Angola and Mali.

Tragedy. putting aside what we think of certain players we shouldn't wish death on them, ok my remarks on Adebayor I will admit where not the most tasteful and below the belt BUT as a human being I am glad he is safe and those involved are ok, R.I.P. to those who have died.Sad news.

Tragedy. putting aside what we think of certain players we shouldn't wish death on them, ok my remarks on Adebayor I will admit where not the most tasteful and below the belt BUT as a human being I am glad he is safe and those involved are ok, R.I.P. to those who have died.Sad news.