Insomnia and Treatment

Woodpecker

Couldnt think where to put this so I have just generalised the name and stuck it here as its about life.I have been having problems sleeping since moving here (i might have mentioned before i am in Austria looking after a house) and as there is no NHS etc. here I organised myself some private health insurance. Well im coming back in April and so far have used the insurance not once, so I thought I will get a few hours with a Psychiatrist try get some sleep therapy or something.Basically the Doctor I was talking with (i speak German to a decent school standard but we quickly established his English was better) has booked me for 10 hours therapy with him, no problem, but then he writes me a prescription until I have got this under control. I didnt even blink or say a word just smiled nodded and left which in hindsight was a big mistake. I went to the pharmacy and collected my prescription, the drugs is called SeroquelXR and he has given me one 50mg to take a night.I went home and researched this drugs, Wiki says its an anti-psychotic which is also SOMETIMES used to treat sleeping disorders. I dont usually take prescription drugs maybe had 5 ibuprofen in the whole of 2009 and one set of anti-biotics for tonsilitus but overall im not big on taking this stuff.I need help with this as losing my sleep is no good, but how the hell can a man talk to me for 30 minutes and prescribe me with an ANTI-PSYCHOTIC which is rarely used for sleep disorders. I have heard about the sort of Psychologists who get people onto meds so as they will continue to need help (this is not very common in england as it is mainly NHS but in America and other places I have heard of it being a big problem). Basically im asking, anyone else tried this medication or have experiences of insomnia/sleeping disorders.Internet is saying this sh*t will lay me out

Guest Triple XXX

im on an anti-psychotic whcih is sometimes used for mood disordersits nuffin it does its jobi recommend zopicloneask for thatsoo goodi mean at first the metalilic lil taste in the back of ur throat may be uncomfortable, but after a week or 2 its jus euphoria get somedamn i want some right nowgettin a boner jus thinkin about it

i was on olanzapine (sp?) for a while which was anti psychotic, it helped a lot with my sleep. but as durty said, zopiclone is the best thing for insomnia, it's just really addictive. as for over the counter stuff, tylenol night is v. good. sominex and nytol don't seem to do anything for me personally, might work for you though.

Guest Triple XXX
i was on olanzapine (sp?) for a while which was anti psychotic, it helped a lot with my sleep. but as durty said, zopiclone is the best thing for insomnia, it's just really addictive. as for over the counter stuff, tylenol night is v. good. sominex and nytol don't seem to do anything for me personally, might work for you though.
olanzapine is what im on now as a mood stabiliserbut even that doesnt send me to sleep have to take 40mg of amitriptyline n even that dnt work well i think imma ask for more

Guest Triple XXX
lol nah used in the short term zopiclone works a treatbt i gave it up anyways so anyone canalthough i do crave it like a bitch
if it is mentally addictive Im sure I can overcome it, I have heard cigarettes are more MENTALLY addictive than heroin so i should be kool, have you ever used temazepam(sp) as i know someone with a big stockpile of this.Edit- If i bring up the subject of Zopiclone im guessing the doctor is gonna think this is a no go so how do i get at it?
never had temazepam theres a next -pam medication thats meant to b good cnt remember the name right nowask the doc about another drug, tell him u spoke to a few people and they seemed to think zopiclone was the way to go but ur not sure u jus want something thatll work

does anyone know of anything that will help me go to sleep but not completely knock me out? i cant be out cold coz i have to be able 2 wake up in the night if my kid wakes up so i cant be completely out of it, this it whats put me off sleep aids until now, but ive suffered with this for about 5 years, basically since i started working nights and my sleep has never gone back to normal.i tried not going to bed at all yesterday and it worked as far as me going to bed at a normal time, but i woke up about an hour ago and theres no way im gonna be able to go back to sleep now :D

Yeah man I go on walks most days and do weight training every other day, To heat the houses here involves carrying a few 15kg sacks couple times a day so that adds to exercise a little bit.
I hate taking pills and am not a fan of sleeping tablets or pain killers etc. Do you get up early?I used to be pretty bad gettin sleep at night but getting up at 5.00am every morning - Exercise. My lifestyle means that im on my feet alot and im outside an being in the fresh air all day can be the one that to make you have a good sleep at night. By the time ive come home from doing everything i need to do for my animals fed them made dinner, done washing tidied up my house had a bath, Emails/phone calls when it comes to sitting down on the sofa i practically drop asleep.