Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Faisal

BitTorrent Community OiNK’s Founder Cleared of Charges in UK Court

13 posts in this topic

In October 2007, Alan Ellis, the owner of the popular invite-only BitTorrent community OiNK.cd,was arrested in Middlesbrough, UK. The first person in the UK to be prosecuted for illegal file-sharing, Ellis was just found not guilty of conspiracy to defraud in a Teesside Crown Court.

When the IFPI raided OiNK more than two years ago, the case was unique not only because of its location (the UK), but because OiNK was always an invite-only community. You usually had to know someone to get an invitation, and there were very strict ratio requirements, as well as rules regarding quality of uploads.

A large part of the prosecution’s case against Ellis was that he had more than $300,000 in his PayPal account, as well as 10 other bank accounts with about ¬£20,000 spread across them. These funds were from donations that users could make to support server costs and other maintenance fees. Donations were not a requirement to join the site. Disclosure: I was a member of OiNK and made a donation, probably of ¬£25 or so at least once before it was shut-down.

Lots of major BitTorrent trackers were shut down in 2007, but the OiNK case was different not only because of its focus on a private community, but also because the founder was personally charged in court. Ellis’s argument, that OiNK didn’t actually host any of the music, was one echoed by The Pirate Bay owners in their trial, albeit with more pleasant results.

The Chief Superintendent for Cleveland Police told the Yorkshire Post:

“This has been a fair investigation. The jury has been presented with all the evidence and we abide by their decision.”

Holdtight the jury, someone in the courtroom said that he was a breakthrough in the music industry or words to that effect.

brap brap even though i dont have an oink pass

zoop zoop

damn i havent said that in a while

i dont ever recall searchin for a certain tune or album on oink and comin up with nuffin

OiNK was the sh*t, aint gonna lie.

Ange tite him though.

never used it but a victory none the less

Good for them. lol @ the Pirate Bay guys having to pay $3.6 million after a year in jail though, like say they'll ever have that money

^^

LOL, I thought they got away with it aswell. The way they were acting with them emails, asking for it tbh.

yeh i swear the pirate bay guys got bought out, so they actually made a milli n payed up the rest

[JOHNNY DRAMA] VICTORRRRRRY!!!!!![/JOHNNY DRAMA]

wikipedia says that deal didn't end up going through