The Barca Method Of Running A Club

Mame Biram Diouf

They dont seem to have any debt compared to the other big European teams. They splash out on players when they need to. And because they do not have lots of net profit to throw around on any player and risk them being sh*t, it seems to help them focus on brining through players like Xavi, Iniesta, Valdez, Messi, Puyol etc

Not sure quite how it works though is it just a PLC ting with shares and how do they generate money or is all through player sales, merchandise, stadium revenue etc..

Hmm Vip2s Spanish ITK Ice, Alex?

Would be highly appreciated if you could get in touch with your secret Spanish contacts and get back to me.

Cheers Fellas

No one actually owns Barca, they have members who pay an annual fee and also vote in the next president when elections are due. This is when people come in making over the top statements and stating which players will be bought, pure bragging rights. Remember they promised Beckham (even sold Barca Beckham shirts) buy failed and delivered Ronaldinho to open the door to which is one of Barcelona's successful periods.

Barca are not a PLC so to speak, they are fan owned

I.E Afc Wimbledon, Fc United, Bayern Munich (and all the german teams supportes own at least 51% of their clubs) and Real Madrid.

it would easily work but to make it possible you need to have fans who are commited to the cause and willing to make decisions for the better of the club.

it should be the way forward as Supporters are never gonna take money out of the club and a clubs expenditure on stadium development, players brought in and on other things will be down to Fan investment.

all it would take is a standerd membership fee and you'll get a say of all major decisions that take place there after.

Some of the biggest clubs in the world are run like this and remain financialy viable i'b Barca being the main one and they dont even have money coming in from shirt sponsership, the only sponsers they've ever had is Unicef and they dont receive any money from that.

Real Madrid are the only team who really abuse the system but it seems to work for them and thats their fans choice so so be it.

Ideally every club would be run like this.

i swear yanited used to be a plc before the glazers came.

The difference between being a PLC and fan owned is,

when your a PLC you have a load of random rich people who own piece of your club and when they want they can sell to anyone regardless of their intentions or attempt to buy other peoples and attemt a takeover. i.e what happened at United

when your Fan owned you (the supporters) will hold at least 51% so you still have control of the club no matter what and whereas you can still sell shares in order to gain investment you will only sell the controling stake if YOU want to and to who you want.

money is generated from all the usual avenues, gate receipts, sposnership, merchandise, tv deals and membership costs.

its one of those things in football that make too much sense to be the norm

Big difference.

kompressor has summedd it up

Im very surprised when the Glazers took over United didnt organise this, there was alot of passion, and they have the biggest fan base out of anyone in england

which is worrying cos if united didnt do it there is small chance for anyone else to pull it off

but thats the modern day football fan would rather buy latest home shirt with ronaldo on the back than buy 40 pound worth of shares

^^ You get it completly

there are idiots as you said who would rather give their money to the megastore rather than invest it in Shareholders United when we were fighting first Magnier and Mc Manus then the Glazers, people wern't smart enoughto realise that long term stability is greater than short term glory. so instead of using that £40 to buy shares they chose to go to a game.

these are the type of fan who are kicking up stink now and are coming up with stupid suggestions i.e Fergie resigning.

and your forgetting that United have thebiggest fan base in the world but most of these fans could'nt give a f*ck really about the future of the club.

they'll only complain when the success dries up or looks like it will,

^^ You get it completly

there are idiots as you said who would rather give their money to the megastore rather than invest it in Shareholders United when we were fighting first Magnier and Mc Manus then the Glazers, people wern't smart enoughto realise that long term stability is greater than short term glory. so instead of using that £40 to buy shares they chose to go to a game.

these are the type of fan who are kicking up stink now and are coming up with stupid suggestions i.e Fergie resigning.

and your forgetting that United have thebiggest fan base in the world but most of these fans could'nt give a f*ck really about the future of the club.

they'll only complain when the success dries up or looks like it will,

If shares in top clubs were £40 u'd probably get more fans buying them!! It's not really an option when one voting share at arsenal for example costs £8500, but i know what your getting at. Of course u could issue more shares to spread the load but your still looking at a lot of money for fans to stump up, especially when only 60/70k (a lot less at other clubs) can actually see the team they have invested in.

I do agree with it in principal but can't see how fan ownership would work in the prem. I just can't see how a group of fans can hold controlling rights in a club these days, which is unfortunate.

Surely this is more a question of change in law/rules of ownership in football rather than questioning fans' support?

It is very easily done especially with things like the internet now a everday aspect of our lives,

all it will take is for fans to put their money where there mouths are.

sacrifice buying your season ticket for one season and buy shares collectivly instead, then you'd be right on your way

It wouldnt work well in England because ___ >>>english people>>english laws

Works really well to an extent in Germany and of course Barca get by fine is because of thier tv revenue and the laws for that in spain

If united sold there tv deal seperate to the rest of the premier league then mickey mouse could actually run the club and would make a killing.

nice idea but it wont work here unfortunatly