Rinse 11: Mixed by Oneman

iheartgrime

Number 11 in London pirate station Rinse FM’s CD series is compiled and mixed by Oneman.

Oneman, known to his mum as Steve Bishop, didn’t produce until very recently, but had already made his name as one of dubstep’s tightest DJs – especially back in the days when it wasn’t such an obvious move to mix Digital Mystikz tracks with 2step. A resident at the House Party squat raves, he was recruited to Rinse FM last year, and his first show for the station is still semi-regular listening at FACT HQ.

“People will probably expect a bunch of garage classics”, Oneman says of the mix.

“The thing is, I don’t find many classic tunes in today’s music. Most stuff has a short shelf life which is cool but that’s why I would delve back to the older music… [chuckles]

“Yeah the opening tune on the mix is a bit of a statement from me. You gotta move forward though, this CD is a selection of what I like now. I don’t wanna get stuck as that guy that plays garage, I’m moving on.”

We’ve only listened to just over half of it, but trust us, ‘Flying Saucer’ into ‘Citizens of the City’ is a bit of a moment. Ms Dynamite, Zomby, Kode 9 and more feature.

[update: release date is March 1]

Tracklist:

1. Double Helix – 96 Flavas (No More Games)

2. Ramadanman – Mir

3. Martin Kemp – After The Night

4. The Detatchments – Circles [Martyn's Round & Round Mix]

5. Jazzanova – I Can See [Doc Daneeka Dub-Bump Mix]

6. Kode 9 – 2 Far Gone

7. Martyn – Mega Drive Generation

8. Bassjackers & Apster – Klambu

9. Deadboy – U Cheated

10. Zomby – Rumours and Revolutions

11. Efdemin – Acid Bells [Martyn's Bittersweet Mix]

12. Geeneus & Ms Dynamite – Get Low

13. Smoove Kriminal – Represent

14. Sticky – Jack It Up feat. Marvin Brown

15. R1 Ryders – Rubberband VIP

16. SouLTonic Sound System – The Flying Saucer

17. Bok Bok – Citizens Dub feat. Bubbz

18. Hem feat. Terrible Shock – On a Mission [shortstuff Remix]

19. A4C – Untitled Mambo [boogaloo Crew Remix]

20. Joy Orbison – Hyph Mngo

21. Breakage feat. Newham Generals & David Rodigan – Hard

22. Desto – Disappearing, Reappearing ink

23. Joker – Digidesign

24. 2000F & J Kamata – You Don’t Know What Love Is

25. Starkey – Rain City

26. Headhunter – Prototype [Modeselektor's Broken Handbrake Remix]

27. Crystal Fighters – I Love London [brackles Remix]

Thoughts on this?

Nice to see abit of Kode 9 and Zomby...

I've quite been getting into Bok-Bok and Boog-a-loo Crew remixes atm so this should be another solid CD

Is it me or are Rinse deliberately holding back on the various remaining big DJ's like Vectra, Funk Butcher, Silencer, Chef, Younsgta, DJ NG....?

The song selection (in my opinion) won't differ between Vectra and Silencer, but that hasn't stopped the likes of Skepta, Spyro, Geenus all releasing Rinse CDs...

I've quite been getting into Bok-Bok and Boog-a-loo Crew remixes atm so this should be another solid CD

Is it me or are Rinse deliberately holding back on the various remaining big DJ's like Vectra, Funk Butcher, Silencer, Chef, Younsgta, DJ NG....?

The song selection (in my opinion) won't differ between Vectra and Silencer, but that hasn't stopped the likes of Skepta, Spyro, Geenus all releasing Rinse CDs...

wot do u meanin holdin back? not giving them as much shine?

wot do u meanin holdin back? not giving them as much shine?

Not so much holding them back...like Rinse03/04/10 I wasn't too impressed with (Skepta/Supa D/Marcus Nasty)

I just think someone like Vecta/Silencer or Chef would off put together a better mix...

Who's to say though, they won't get a mix released? Since Rinse07 (Spyro's mix) I've been hoping for a Youngsta mix of the un-released stuff...