Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mame Biram Diouf

What Subjects/People Should Children/Teenagers Be Taught About In School?

124 posts in this topic

Think first of all money. Too many people grow up worshiping money, all this talk about money over everything etc

And not enough people grow up knowing how to handle money, living off credit cards and paying off debts with more debts.

I cant believe the name Marcus Garvey was never mentioned once in my time at school, only came across his name in a song once and looked him up to realize he was one of the greatest men to ever live.

Even the Bloods and Crips. They started off as just protecting the neighbourhoods after the Black Panthers Leaders were either killed or put in prison or forced into exile (Assata). But then they threw drugs into the communities and gun and 30 years later look what we have now. Its gone from one neighbourhood to a global issue.

Even things like the benefits of having a strong family unit.

Add yours.

Need to be taught the truth about why terrorists do what they do. Should be taught in history classes and religious studies.

things like money and how to pay bills etc. are things that parents should be teaching their children. i don't see why things like this are necessary in school. unless you mean in pshe

lol @ teaching about the bloods and crips in school. i do agree more of a focus on non-european history would be good though.

They should teach critical thinking in secondary school, like early. PSHE is a subject that seems like it should be taught just incase, but I'm pretty sure most people got absolutely nothing out of it.

things like money and how to pay bills etc. are things that parents should be teaching their children. i don't see why things like this are necessary in school. unless you mean in pshe

lol @ teaching about the bloods and crips in school. i do agree more of a focus on non-european history would be good though.

Yes SHOULD but dont

You cant force parents to teach that sort of stuff but you can force teachers.

And seeing as most parents are likely to not be educated on money then by relying on them to teach their children is like letting a colour blind man be a critique at a colour gallery tbf

Whats wrong with teaching about the orginations of the bloods and crips?

Most of these gangbangers think they were formed to rob and steal and kill...

how to handle money

is this not common sense?

serious question, how can you justify teaching this in school? what would lessons consist of?

how to handle money

serious question, how can you justify teaching this in school? what would lessons consist of?

Looking left and right before crossing a road is common sense, yet people still get hit by cars.

how to handle money

politics

Have you ever been taught politics before just out of interest?

common sense.. and some classes about how to raise a child

good money management (how to maintain a good credit profile, credit cards and how to use them properly etc)

It's not just the subject it's also the delivery.

Should teach something interesting in history lessons rather than WWII all the time

how government works

c/s money management

everyone should have a vocational choice

cooking

They should stop teaching history with such a biased view. They should teach kids to question the world.

how to handle money

its true i dunno how u cud teach i grew up seeing my mum like never ever use her credit card and when i asked her why she explained sh*t to me and from then on i knew credit cards werent the lick, but some ppl now a days just dont think

how to handle money

politics

Have you ever been taught politics before just out of interest?

Never we could pick politics at gcse and as level but that aint good enough imo it should be taught from early they have citizenship but it is soooo sh*t and flips from topic to topic we ever really learned sh*t

cooking should be mandatory but most of this can't be fit in to a school schedule

Need to be taught the truth about why terrorists do what they do. Should be taught in history classes and religious studies.

Which is?

It's not just the subject it's also the delivery.

Could you expand on this?

As in they should get external people in to deliver some lessons?

Or just the way its put across?

they should teach more modern history

cold war ftw sh*t is actually interesting and relevant to the youts kinda

Morals.

Education without values will only serve to make a man a more clever devil.

They should teach critical thinking. Anyone who's done it college will attest to just who useful those skill you learn on that course are.

the top 3 compulsory subjects, that should replace english and math being compulsory are

1: MONEY: but not just how to "save" but how to make money work for you, taxation and financial planning. this is something that even MBA students dont really get taught in the right sense.

2: would be "the power of positive thinking", which would allow students realize their dreams and the mindset they need to get to where they want to go.

3: African History: as it was recorded by historians in the 17th and 18th centuries, pre trans atlantic slavery.

the world would be a much better place after this

Also I am strongly for the education of Alcohol.

All kids grow up seeing as a social normal because well now it is

But they are not really taught about the side-effects properly

All the externalities that occur from excessive alcohol consumption such as it ruining families or leading to deaths etc

They should teach critical thinking. Anyone who's done it college will attest to just who useful those skill you learn on that course are.

What is critical thinking and what sort of things do you learn?

Morals.

Education without values will only serve to make a man a more clever devil.

Can u give examples of education with values and education without values so i can get what u mean