Deco: Should have played for Brazil

Gunner

Chelsea midfielder Deco has announced his decision to retire from international football after the 2010 World Cup.

The Brazilian-born playmaker has been a regular presence for Portugal since being granted citizenship in 2002, after six years of residence in the country.

Deco has, however, decided that he will make himself unavailable for selection when the World Cup in South Africa comes to an end.

"I will close my cycle after the World Cup," he told Radio Globo.

"Because of my age and because it is tiring, I will say goodbye to the national team after the World Cup."

The 32-year-old midfielder has 71 international caps to his name and helped Portugal reach the final of Euro 2004 and the semi-finals of the 2006 World Cup.

Meanwhile, Deco, who indicated he plans to return to Brazil at the end of the 2010/11 season, has vowed to help Chelsea win the Premier League.

"The title for Chelsea will be my professional fulfilment," he added.

I wouldnt be surprised if he did what a lot of top players do and retire from international football while the portugese team are qualifying for euro 2012, then decide to come out of retirement to play in the euros, saving him the bother of having to play the qualifiers.

swear henrik larsson did this about 3 times

portugal are gonna miss him, they got any likely replacements?

can the brazilian teams afford the transfer fee though?

and @ Black, why wouldnt a brazilian team want him?

yep, moutinho, danny or fernandes will do. Deco has been waste for a while now. Wouldn't mind if he retired before the world cup tbh

yep, moutinho, danny or fernandes will do. Deco has been waste for a while now. Wouldn't mind if he retired before the world cup tbh

Not that this is really relevant, but are they Portuguese or Brazilian?

Not that this is really relevant, but are they Portuguese or Brazilian?

port