Blatter backing Africa

Gunner

Fifa president Sepp Blatter claims there is a disrespectful prejudice against South Africa hosting the World Cup.

Concerns have been raised about the tournament following the terrorist attack on the Togo team bus in Angola last month.

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has been outspoken with his views, stating that he will not travel to South Africa because of safety fears.

Hoeness has also criticised the decision to stage the World Cup anywhere in Africa but Blatter has now responded with a furious tirade.

"I think it's a nonsense to combine what has happened in Angola, a terrorist attack for political reasons, and mix it up with the World Cup in South Africa," he said.

No respect

"In Germany people like Uli Hoeness and also representatives of the professional leagues are saying we should not go there.

"But every year 11 million tourists go to South Africa and nobody says they should not go there."

Blatter believes the doubters should show more respect and give South Africa a chance to prove they can host a successful tournament.

"It's a kind of anti-Africa prejudice," he said. "I think there is still in the so-called 'old world' a feeling that why the hell should Africa organise a World Cup.

"Colonialists over the past 100 years have gone to Africa and taken out all the best things, and now they are taking all the best footballers. There's no respect.

"It's a kind of anti-Africa prejudice," he said. "I think there is still in the so-called 'old world' a feeling that why the hell should Africa organise a World Cup.

"Colonialists over the past 100 years have gone to Africa and taken out all the best things, and now they are taking all the best footballers. There's no respect.

on the map.