Man flies plane into IRS building

Trilliam

AUSTIN, Texas – A software engineer furious with the Internal Revenue Service launched a suicide attack on the agency Thursday by crashing his small plane into an office building containing nearly 200 IRS employees, setting off a raging fire that sent workers running for their lives.

At least one person in the building was missing.

The FBI tentatively identified the pilot as Joseph A. Stack, 53. Law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still going on, said that before taking off, Stack apparently set fire to his house and posted a long anti-government screed on the Web. It was dated Thursday and signed "Joe Stack (1956-2010)."

In it, the author cited run-ins he had with the IRS and ranted about the tax agency, government bailouts and corporate America's "thugs and plunderers."

"I have had all I can stand," he wrote, adding: "I choose not to keep looking over my shoulder at `big brother' while he strips my carcass."

The pilot took off in a single-engine Piper Cherokee from an airport in Georgetown, about 30 miles from Austin, without filing a flight plan. He flew low over the Austin skyline before plowing into the side of the hulking, seven-story, black-glass building just before 10 a.m. with a thunderous explosion that instantly stirred memories of Sept. 11.

Flames shot from the building, windows exploded, a huge pillar of black smoke rose over the city, and terrified workers rushed to get out.

The Pentagon scrambled two F-16 fighter jets from Houston to patrol the skies over the burning building before it became clear that it was the act of a lone pilot, and President Barack Obama was briefed.

"It felt like a bomb blew off," said Peggy Walker, an IRS revenue officer who was sitting at her desk. "The ceiling caved in and windows blew in. We got up and ran."

Stack was presumed dead, though police said they had not recovered his body as of Thursday evening. At least 13 people were injured, with two reported in critical condition. About 190 IRS employees work in the building.

Gerry Cullen was eating breakfast at a restaurant across the street when the plane struck the building and "vanished in a fireball."

Funny how no one is saying it's a goverment set up.

Yet if the person was a terrorist and 200 people died, I'd be seeing bare copy and pasted articles about how the plane was a hologram and bombs were planted inside the building.

maybe because terrorists plan to kill many people and this man planned to only kill himself?

it may also be that this man's passport got burnt in the fire this time

and that he wasnt linked to many mossad/rich business men

and maybe there werent "wargames" planned to simulate flying a plane into an IRS building and then by stroke of pure coincidence.. a real event happened

maybe, not everyone is as simple minded as you? just maybe

Yet if the person was a terrorist and 200 people died, I'd be seeing bare copy and pasted articles about how the plane was a hologram and bombs were planted inside the building.

maybe because terrorists plan to kill many people and this man planned to only kill himself?

and maybe there werent "wargames" planned to simulate flying a plane into an IRS building and then by stroke of pure coincidence.. a real event happened

alie streets chat shits moretime

• Upvote 1

Are you a f*ck*ng moron? Do you know what the definition of terrorist is? The guy is literally a terrorist you inbred fool. Oh he planned to kill only himself right? That's why he didn't just take a sh*t load of sleeping pills, he flew a plane into a building filled with over 100 people while he was it. Just for fun, he didn't plan on killing any one other than himself right?

So you have to be linked to 'typical' or established terrorist networks to be a terrorist?

If someone purchases a handgun, walks into the streets and starts shooting people, said person is a terrorist.

I swear terrorist has become a synonym for Arab?

Oh and just to clarify, the turd clearly had problems with the taxing policy, clearly had political motive, so in the strictest sense of the word, he's still a terrorist.

Guest Esquilax

Are you a f*ck*ng moron? Do you know what the definition of terrorist is? The guy is literally a terrorist you inbred fool. Oh he planned to kill only himself right? That's why he didn't just take a sh*t load of sleeping pills, he flew a plane into a building filled with over 100 people while he was it. Just for fun, he didn't plan on killing any one other than himself right?

So you have to be linked to 'typical' or established terrorist networks to be a terrorist?

If someone purchases a handgun, walks into the streets and starts shooting people, said person is a terrorist.

Not everyone who intentionally kills a lot of people is a terrorist.

Not everyone who intentionally kills a lot of people is a terrorist.

Depends on how you interprete the word? Violently inspiring fear in people is an act of terrorism. If you interprete the word on motive, this guy is still a terrorist.

Guest Esquilax

Terrorism has no real definition, but it's usually a means of coercion through violence

This guys acting out was a result of a personal dispute with a singular company, and he sought to affect that and that alone

I don't think that classifies it as terrorism

Plane

Into

Building

Forget about 'taking a stand' or having 'heroic motives', or that most of IRS's employees are middle class. This guy had a problem with the company and put other peoples life at risk because of it, although no fatalities have been reported yet, he knew there was a possibility and went through with it anyway. The method alone should be enough.

Allow giving him a bly 'cause he's the pasty defender of the little man.

Guest WAVESURFER

Terrorist.

Terra-risk.

Terra = land.......land risk?

Tear-a-list......tearing up the list of terrorist suspects?

Tar-or-this......War for oil/tar, or more attacks to come?

Yeah?

Think about it guise, yr not looking at the bigger picture.

Guest Esquilax

He's not trying to DO anything by it though, ya get may?

Man murders his wife then kills himself cuz she cheated, he ain't doing it for men everywhere whose women have been battered by other breahs is he? It's a crime of passion. This guy was obviously passionate about getting one over on the IRS and that's all it is.

The fact that you cite 'plane into building' as a reason for this being a terrorist act means that you yourself have been coerced into believing that one set of rules apply to this amorphous subject, when they clearly don't.

Man murders his wife then kills himself cuz she cheated, he ain't doing it for men everywhere whose women have been battered by other breahs is he? It's a crime of passion. This guy was obviously passionate about getting one over on the IRS and that's all it is.

The fact that you cite 'plane into building' as a reason for this being a terrorist act means that you yourself have been coerced into believing that one set of rules apply to this amorphous subject, when they clearly don't.

Plane into building was just meant to emphasise the parallels with 9/11 and highlight the fact that an industry which draws conclusions and throw's comparisons around much weaker than the one above, hasn't even brought up the notion of terrorism.

But the first part is true as far as intent/motive go. Think we both know though, that the reason terrorism hasn't been brought up has nothing to do with semantics or connotation of the word.

Guest Esquilax

Nah you're right, or maybe I'm right, but I defo know the reason that no one in the media has brought up even the notion of terrorism wasn't precipitated by any debate into 'what terrorism is' or anything like that.

People wanna see fatalities tbh, fatalities perpetrated by coloureds at that