Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
serpent

Songs For The Decades

24 posts in this topic

Post one song for each decade, the song you select must be one that you feel represents and defines these era's best, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90' 20's...

Good topic!

I'm gonna come back and reply to this properly tomorrow.

will start from the sixties as im not too familiar with hard bop jazz, buddy holly and them man there.

60's

If you were talking about something worth listening to in the sixties, chances are you just got off the phone with Dylan. Say no more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srgi2DkDbPU

70's

Hardest pick. Point blank period. When you think of how much musical godshit went down in the seventies. You've got Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, Queen and Pink Floyd on one side, then you've got Iggy Pop & The Stooges, The Clash, Talking Heads, Roxy Music and The Ramones. Guys like Zappa, David Bowie, Brian Eno, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen. Country Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Punk, Post Punk. Abbey Road and London's Calling are less than a decade removed. How the f*ck do you top that man, seriously. Some of the greatest music ever recorded bet that. I'm going with Marquee Moon by Television, a ten minute amalgamation of everything that was good about the seventies, a punk band playing jazz guitar with dual solo's in a prog rock epic format.

80's

People tear up the 80's for Disco but wtf do I know about Disco. Saturday Night Fever has the best movie soundtrack Ever. There's a lot of synths in this decade, sh*t like Human League, Duran Duran and that. But why the f*ck would you care when 1980's was the decade that laid the basis for Indie (do we even call it that anymore) music today. You shouldn't care, at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S8d3jim9Gg

Honourable mention: David Bowie - 'Let's Dance'

90's

Cobain had an accident or something, Pearl Jam capitalised, Mudhoney and Dinasour Jr were pissed, Brit-pop broke out, Limp Biscuit and Linkin Park hit the scene, girl and boy bands took over the world. Wrestling was quite popular as well and somewhere in between all this U2 became the biggest band in the world. That's where this entry would end if it wasn't for rap, or to be more specific; East Coast Rap. Hip Hop, young, spry and hungry, did not hesitate to curb stomp the sh*t out of every genre.

Queens get the money long time no cash

00's

Would need it's own topic and knowing this room won't get anywhere near the level of debate it deserves. Knowing this room all of the above was for nothing but ah well.

f*ck the editor btw, reason this post was split into different parts

90'S

NUFF SAID

00'S

Pre-cursor to soulja boy etc, showed u cud still make millions with minimal talent, provided u got play from MTV etc

feel like i've been punk'd tbf.

/

i just chose an artist and the song that best represented the decade (musically)

Should be Albums instead of singles still

Need to come back another time for my contribution

sh*t, I didn't even mention Velvet Underground =/

Don't like their music but JMC were vital

Great picks for the noughties.

Interesting vetting process lol.

70's

I have to echo Jubez here as i found it very hard to single out just one song for this decade with so many historic songs coming from this era, John Lennon, The Police, Queen and many more need a mention

aswell.

80's

Another tricky period but i feel Blondie was a massive inspiration for the sound of the 80's. Dire Straights, Duran Duran, Madness also get a mention.

90's

Bands like Oasis, Blur, and Pulp obviously spring to mind .

sh*t, Blondie, how could I leave them out.

Good selections, serpent.

You too Jubez, especially Marquee Moon.

blondie's a real good pick, i went with the college rock thing but that didnt really get recognition till the late eighties, where as an outfit like blondie really captured the spirit of the decade in their music, coked out disco drum machine neurotic synths driving guitars, fleetwood mac would've been another one although debbie harris would probably have up stevie nicks in no time at all.

'nother 80's one.

hmm, wiki says that Kiss single was 1979

depeche mode then w/e

take on me came out in the eighties didn't it ?

all things considered this thread was a smashing success.

hats off (to roy harper)

1930's

starts at 57 secs if u wanna skip the intro