Devlin signs to Island Records

Wale

After months and months of rumours, speculation and a bidding war between some of the biggest major record labels in the world,

Devlin has signed a record deal with the mighty Island Records/Universal.

Island Records was started in Jamaica in 1959 and quickly became a force to be reckoned with in world music. Islands hugely influential roster of artists include legends like Bob Marley, U2, Eric B & Rakim, Grace Jones, Paul Weller and Amy Winehouse to name a few.

Island expressed an interest in signing Devlin in 2009 after the young Outaker took the year by storm with his hit track London City, but Island wasn’t the only major label interested in getting Devlin’s signature and a 3 month bidding war in sued.

At one point Devlin and manager Colin Batsa (pictured left) had 5 major record labels interested in adding him to their roster.

If things weren’t hectic enough, Devlin was listed in the BBC ‘Sound Of’ list alongside 14 other acts highlighted as the most exciting musical talents for the coming year. Other acts listed included Ellie Goulding and UK rapper Giggs.

By the end of 2009 Devlin had videos for Community Outcast, Giant and London City on rotation on Channel AKA (Sky 370) and Starz TV and started performing up and down the country as the bookings flooded in.

Finally after months of negotiations Devlin and his management team gathered at the Universal building in London to sign the deal with Island Records. The label who’s other artists include The Sugababes, Tinchy Stryder and Wiley are very happy to have landed their man and are now focused on delivering Devlin’s long awaited debut album Bud, Sweat & Beers.

Devlin is still and always will be an Outaker and will continue to make music with his crew and friends like Ghetts and Griminal.

Devlin is very excited to begin a new chapter in his music career and hopes he will continue to recieve the support of his fans and all the people that have helped to spread his name all over the world.

I hope you will join us in wishing Devlin the best of luck for the future.

www.myspace.com/devlinot www.twitter.com/outakers

http://outakers.com/2010/02/devlin-signs-to-island-records/

Griminal got signed too.

Swear I told man this last year tho...

Well considering the way the markets gone it isnt a great revelation nor surprise. Signed doesnt mean much when you consider he's light skinned and basically next in line. Staying signed and selling is what defines the artist to me. Used it before and I'll use it again, HSKT hit top 20, Migraine Skank got signed to follow suit/better it and flopped. Griminal is Migraine Skank with Chippy HSKT until further notice

On that note, I dont think Griminal will do well unless he is worked on A LOT!

Devlin doesnt have to go commercial like Chippy and Tinchy. If they send him that way they are shortsighted.

good luck to him but not the most deserving mc

cant hate though

appeals to the chav dem

not sure what the hype is around him tbh but i have to agree with the above. Fair play to him

Im not even a big fan of Devlin but who deserves it more???

Most people in grime have either had there chance and blown it or passed it up..

Devlin has put the work in, banged out a cd when he had hype around his name and has been consitent, throughly deserves a chance imo.

• Upvote 2