Waddle - " Walcott is any land speed car with no ECU "

Heero Yuy

Former England winger Chris Waddle believes that Theo Walcott "doesn't understand the game", following the youngster's performance in the 3-1 victory over Egypt at Wembley.The former Southampton star put in a lacklustre performance and was eventually substituted as Shaun Wright-Phillips' arrival heralded the start of some good play that resulted in Peter Crouch and the Manchester City winger getting their names on the scoresheet."People keep saying he's young but Wayne Rooney understood the game at 16, 17," Waddle said on BBC's Radio Five Live. "I've never seen any difference in Theo Walcott since he was at Southampton and broke into the team at a very young age. I've never seen him develop. "He just doesn't understand the game for me - where to be running, when to run inside a full-back, [when to] just play a one-two."Walcott earned a surprise call-up to Sven Goran Eriksson's squad for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, but his recent performances may put him a cut below the likes of Wright-Phillips, David Beckham, and Aaron Lennon.Waddle believes that unlike the aforementioned players, the young Gunner does not have a pristine "football brain"."It's all off the cuff," he added."The ball comes to him and if he gets a good first touch he might be on his way if he shows pace. But he has [to have] a plan in his mind before the ball comes to him."He's not looking as if to think, 'This is where I want to be, this is where I want to go, and this is what I'm going to do'. It just seems to be all off the cuff."People keep saying to me, 'Oh he's young and he'll learn'."I keep thinking, '[Cesc] Fabregas has learnt and he's young, [Wayne] Rooney has learnt... they all read the game so well'. I just don't think he's got a football brain and he's going to have problems."
swear down Anelka wrote this article

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate this guy. lets be honest he's been shocking.I've watched him at all diff levels and even in ur reserves he never stood out from the crowd. Has no appreciation of space, poor dribbling/touch, doesnt know how to play imo.He's struggled at reserves, carling cup team, full arsenal team, england u21, full england int levels.Only time he looked to be progressing was that season when he said him and rvp went back to training early, he looked good but then got inj i think. obviously injuries have limited his momentum.When he scored that brace vs birmingham I honestly thought it was his turning point but it didnt happen dunno why.But for me his commitment to improving is questionable, obviously the sentenceabout coming back to training early, more of that is needed, alot more cos he is NOT naturally talented imo.Needs to get his head down and work harder he doen't seem like a guy who's that into football i.e. watches all games from other leagues, looks to the best players.

Arsenal made the mistake of not loaning him out imoHe is a p*ssy/I still think given more time he can become world-classI don't know why but I just get that feeling in 3 years time we will be thinking rah how wrong I wasBut you man watch him week in week out/Wenger f*cked up his development its like he tried to hard to make him a certain player and by playing him on the wing to prove there is English talent but he hasnt done whats best for Walcott which is playing him upfrontI know its Cliche cuz hes light skin but I think he would do sick at Villa cuz MON seems to focus on the players and work on them (Young, Milner, Warnock) were as Wenger and Arsenal dont have time for thatBut VIlla already have Agbonlahor so boi...

Arsenal made the mistake of not loaning him out imoHe is a p*ssy/I still think given more time he can become world-classI don't know why but I just get that feeling in 3 years time we will be thinking rah how wrong I wasBut you man watch him week in week out/Wenger f*cked up his development its like he tried to hard to make him a certain player and by playing him on the wing to prove there is English talent but he hasnt done whats best for Walcott which is playing him upfrontI know its Cliche cuz hes light skin but I think he would do sick at Villa cuz MON seems to focus on the players and work on them (Young, Milner, Warnock) were as Wenger and Arsenal dont have time for thatBut VIlla already have Agbonlahor so boi...
World Cup call-up meant no way that was ever happening. But notice Wilshere was sent out.Like I said if he puts the positive aspects of his game together he'll be unstoppable, especially in our team, but I been saying this for three years now and still he's struggling, granted injuries, but he's actually gone back to being a player for 15-20 minutes. TBH I'm starting to think he doesnt know if he coming or going... He's bulked up but still a p*ssy, he hasn't lost his pace and isnt actually technically sh*t at all but dire with the ball - Wenger says its confidence but it just looks like its his brain, he doesnt see the game nor have the imagination. He desperately NEEDS Robin back thats for sure. Another part of the problem is he has to decide if he wants to assist goals or score goals. TBH I could go on for hours about Walcott... Shits frustrating cos there is a very good player there somewhere.

Don't want to hear sh*t about age./Playing him RW is a mistake, been saying it for about 2-3 years.
so where should he play in this arsenal team? up top? doesnt have any of the required skills to be our central striker.
Well when he arrived, we were still playing in a 4-4-2, so he could've played upfront, but TBH, I liked seeing him at LW.Does anyone remember his debut, when he made a cameo appearance against Villa? 1st game of the 2006/2007 season, 1-1 draw? Looked bright, confident on the ball, drove a lil' & played in some nice passes.There's something about playing right-footed players on the left. Because they're forced to cut in, it requires them to think a little bit more about their play, because they can't simply rely on their pace to beat their man or put in a cross. It'd also improve his off the ball movement.If he been used to playing on the left IMO, in this current 4-3-3, he would've been looking good. Not saying he would have become the right-footed Messi all of a sudden, but I'd liken his contribution to someone like Ljungberg in the 01/02 season where he started playing LM after Pires got injured.

tbh his biggest asset is his pace if u encourage him to come inside playin on the left he could prob be less effectiveas u gotta be more creative then or bang shots converting to him a winger not sure if that was the best thingwhen u 17 ur still learning the game converting him has held him back abitspecially as he dont seem to be the most 'natural' of footballershe could finish well as a striker not sure why we converted him ibut thinkin about it we was playin 4-4-2 him nd henry not sure if that would of worked plus we had bergkamp then rvpa loan up front in the championship prob would of worked but then sven got gassednow apart from pace he aint a winger, + the way we play we dont even cater for the type of winger he is reallyhes been unlucky

Ashley Young is one of the most limited wingers in a top 10 team
Being able to play on the left, right & through the middlePace, trickery plus his delivery is superb..2 call him limited is very harshWalcott is crap, just be honest that game against Villa, he looked gd coz he was an unknown qualityI dnt kno why everyone thinks he will be a world class player lol ther have been numerous road runners in the past

Don't want to hear sh*t about age./Playing him RW is a mistake, been saying it for about 2-3 years.
so where should he play in this arsenal team? up top? doesnt have any of the required skills to be our central striker.
Well when he arrived, we were still playing in a 4-4-2, so he could've played upfront, but TBH, I liked seeing him at LW.Does anyone remember his debut, when he made a cameo appearance against Villa? 1st game of the 2006/2007 season, 1-1 draw? Looked bright, confident on the ball, drove a lil' & played in some nice passes.There's something about playing right-footed players on the left. Because they're forced to cut in, it requires them to think a little bit more about their play, because they can't simply rely on their pace to beat their man or put in a cross. It'd also improve his off the ball movement.If he been used to playing on the left IMO, in this current 4-3-3, he would've been looking good. Not saying he would have become the right-footed Messi all of a sudden, but I'd liken his contribution to someone like Ljungberg in the 01/02 season where he started playing LM after Pires got injured.
Walcott can't think tho. Once what he's told in the changng room doesnt work, he doesnt know what to do, thats half the problem.