Lagerback: With Fraudsters anything is possible

Gunner

New Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback is backing his side to reach the semi-finals of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Lagerback has replaced the sacked Shaibu Amodu in the Super Eagles' hotseat with a view to impressing at the global showpiece which kicks off in June.

The former Sweden coach now believes that he has the players at his disposal to go all the way to the last four of the World Cup - a bold statement when you consider that the Super Eagles struggled to even qualify for the event.

The 61-year-old told the Daily Trust: "I wonder why people are pessimistic when they hear talk of semi-final target. Every country that goes to a major championships wants to do well, and I believe Nigeria has the players to do well at this World Cup.

"Several people have asked me whether a semi final place is not a dream, but I tell them that we can achieve it if we all work together - the players, the coaches, the administrators and the fans.

"I think it is quite possible, I think every coach, every country going into a competition they always have their aim to winning it,

"You have good individual skills in Nigeria so if we can get that together with the players, I think we have a fairly good chance to go far in the World Cup."

Nigeria have been drawn in Group B alongside Argentina, South Korea and Greece, a tough group on the surface of things.