Beckham to miss World Cup

darkman

AC Milan have confirmed that David Beckham has broken his left achilles tendon, and will be out for a minimum of three months, thus ending his Serie A season and ruling him out of the World Cup barring a miracle.

The midfielder suffered a crack in the foot in the closing stages of Milan's 1-0 win over Chievo at San Siro on Sunday night.

Beckham pulled up in the centre circle under no pressure with just minutes remaining and immediately signalled to the bench, hopping towards the touchline on his healthy leg before collapsing to the floor in agony.

The 34-year-old was close to tears as he was treated for at least five minutes on the touchline, and the bad news of a broken achilles tendon has now been confirmed.

Becks infamously almost missed out on the 2002 World Cup in South Korea and Japan after breaking his metatarsal close to the tournament.

It will take an absolute miracle for Beckham to go to South Africa as he is not expected to be back until the middle of June, at which point the tournament will have already begun.

thats 1 star down theres usually 2 defo outs and 2 who just make it unfit

he was never a starter but i reckon he would of been a sub in tight games just for his free kicks

at least this way people can stop talking about him now

Moore

Shilton

Banks

Charlton

Ball

Keegan

and others

I have to disagree...

Bar Euro 2004 & arguably 1998, when it comes to England, Beckham f*ck*ng represents. Each & every.

Not his fault, the coaches & players haven't been on his level. England have let HIM down too often.

Only players I'd outright place above Beckham are Moore & Charlton. MAYBE Banks.

Guest Intervention

Yup he always gives his best. Though that alone cant place him above more skilled players

Tbh he has played with

Shearer

Gascgoine

Platt

Scholes

Owen

Gerrard

Lampard

etc

Can hardly blame the rest of the players

I jsut think its an exaggeration to say 3rd best England player of all time, in all honesty - he wouldnt get into a world all time Xi

Banks, Moore, Chalrton and Ball would all be in with stronger shouts tbh, not to mention I dont think you can rank him above Shearer or quite a few others

Guest Intervention

Gascgoine

Robson

Keegan

Barnes

Gimmie a min list needs some revision infact

Keegan was a forward still.

He played positions from In the hole, wing, to upfront

I'd have him in the former...

You cant take out Barnes for Beckham

Gascgoine

Robson

Keegan

Barnes

Gimmie a min list needs some revision infact

Keegan was a forward still.

He played positions from In the hole, wing, to upfront

I'd have him in the former...

You cant take out Barnes for Beckham

Beckham creates more goals than my nigga barnes still and if you want creativity Gazza is better than Barnes.

Alas, if recent events have taught us one thing, its that you, no matter who you are or think you are, elect to mock the Gods of Football at your peril. You can get away with it for maybe years but in the end, if youve attempted to distort the truth of their art, they will have their say.

And so to David Beckham and the unfortunate timing of his injury. No-one would wish to revel in a personal disappointment and an injury to a sportsman but things like this sometimes happen and life is harsh. Michael Owen, a man who never let England down in tournament football wasnt even afforded the chance to make his claims for this world cup first by our new manager who treated him with contempt, then by fate itself which robbed him of his fitness. Owen proved to be a far, far, FAR more of relevant and potent figure for England in tournament football against the big nations than Beckham ever did yet is now cruelly left marooned on 80 odd caps and 40 goals.

Capello seemed to have been continuing the fatal Eriksson mistake of being in submission to the cult and overwhelming celebrity power of beckham. If Capello had denied a player a desering world cup slot and taken Beckham and all his baggage to South Africa, i am in no doubt it would have constituted his one huge error of judgement. Capello has been denied the chance to follow through with that utter folly and for that he and we should be eternally grateful. The old adage of being a lucky General rather than a brilliant one appears to sit well on Fabios shoulders.

It is my firm belief that without Beckham, England will be a stronger and more united unit now they are free of beckhams celebrity shadow and can now head to a tournament clear and clean of all the self-promoting PR guff and surrounding media circus that always accompanies brand beckham with England to these occassions. The fact that, should he have travelled, it would have been at best as a fringe squad man would have made it all the more nauseating and unbearable.

When david beckham swanned it for years aquiring more wealth and reward and adulation than even the greats do in our art, the Gods of our game took note. Beckham not only aquired a place at the top of the football table for which his talent didnt remotely deserve, he sat in a parapet above it, absurdly revelling in the label of "worlds most famous footballer" when in my genration we had the likes of Zidane, Figo, Ronaldhino, Messi, Ronaldo and now Rooney, even in england the likes of Scholes, players Beckham isnt frankly fit to sup at the feet of. Just how much this would have enraged and angered our Football Gods one barely wants to imagine. Now theyve had their say. No player, no sentient being was even near to beckham as he fell in agony on sunday night, it was no less than simple destiny.

David Beckham appeared in 5 major tournaments and although never impacting one or justifying a scintilla of his media or celebrity hype, that number was more than enough to do so if his claims and those of his supporters were ever genuine. A 6th appearnce, a 4th in a world cup would have been a farce. A farce to all football scholars, a farce to history, a complete distortion of reality and footballing truth the Gods of our game just would not permit to happen.

Its sad for Beckham, for Brand Beckham and his legions of fans, many very recent to our game, but its not a sad day for the england teams chances of bringing home a long overdue 2nd world cup trophy. Its sad for beckham that his final memory of tournament football will be of walking off that pitch in Germany in tears having failed to justify his hype once too often. To believe otherwise is to fall into the beckham delusion once more and thankfully and fatefully, its a place we`ll never be in, ever again.

Destiny has finally spoken the bitter and harsh but fully just truth on a player that ends his time on 5 tournament failures at the most exhalted of levels and now departs into history. England can now move on to what one hopes will be a world cup full of joy, expression and ultimate success. Who would dare bet against a first semi-final appearnce since 1996? Not this fan, not now.

serious hatred

Guest Intervention

Not really, there was a lot of truth behind it

Beckham was the 4th best midfielder in our team

Scholes

Giggs

Keane

Beckham

I love the guy, but his celebrity is sometimes confused with his ability.

Him being 'the most famous footballer in the world' has preceeded all else it seems, and its why he had to leave Old Trafford

A lot of it was also shite though.