South Park Season 14

Francis Coquelin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Malcolm Tucker

lulz

yeah that censoring was overly long, I reckon the last part was just to take the piss though

nah it wasnt..... comedy central did it...

I dont get y they had to censor part 2

bare bleeps

'cause they sucked the goo out of Muhammed

or possibly because that threat was made before the episode aired

lulz

yeah that censoring was overly long, I reckon the last part was just to take the piss though

I swear they did that in an episode before though, possibly the one when they say the word "sh*t" like a hundred times

Guest Malcolm Tucker

I dont get y they had to censor part 2

bare bleeps

'cause they sucked the goo out of Muhammed

or possibly because that threat was made before the episode aired

lulz

I swear they did that in an episode before though, possibly the one when they say the word "sh*t" like a hundred times

i read it somewhere that the whole 'something i learned....' bit was a play on muslim values from the quaran, which is why they bleeped it.

US, April 22, 2010 - Last night's South Park was certainly unusual for the show. Oh, sure, we've heard bleeps before on the series, but it is usually for curse words. Last night though, the series instead bleeped out a name – Muhammad. Or to be specific, "Prophet Muhammad."

Last week's episode, "200", featured a plot point where Muhammad appeared, but wore a bear costume the entire time. This was South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker clear satirical take on the fear of portraying Muhammad at all in recent years, after Danish comic strip depictions led to a huge outcry. They'd actually previously acknowledged the issue in the "Cartoon Wars" two-parter a couple of years ago, in a storyline about Family Guy deciding to show Muhammad, and the controversy that causes. The subject is especially notable to Stone and Parker, as they depicted Muhammad, with no controversy, in the "Super Best Friends" episode nine years ago – but that episode debuted just two months before September 11th, and clearly things changed after that.

After "200" aired last week, a US-based website named RevolutionMuslim.com wrote, "We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show. This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them." Van Gogh was a Dutch filmmaker who was murdered in 2004, for a film about the treatment of Muslim women.

In the wake of that statement, when this week's "201" aired, Muhammad was now covered by a large black "censored" block and not seen at all – but even more bizarre was that every time the name was said, it was bleeped out. Comedy Central has now confirmed this was their call, not Matt and Trey's.

"201" is not available online at SouthParkStudios.com. Instead there is a message, which appears to be from Matt and Trey, reading, "After we delivered the show, and prior to broadcast, comedy central placed numerous additional audio bleeps throughout the episode. We do not have network approval to stream our original version of the show."

Update: Matt and Trey have now released a longer statement at SouthParkStudios.com.

It reads: "In the 14 years we've been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn't stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn't some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle's customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn't mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We'll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we'll see what happens to it."