R.I.P The Bill 1983-2010

TF S4DK

The US makes ER we have Holby City lol

And c/s Hustle. The production quality and the setting of the show were all top notch IMO. The only problem with it is that it got slightly long winded it seemed like it was just hustle after hustle each week without much going on in a continuing storyline. Still one of the best UK shows I have watched in a long time.

The US makes ER we have Holby City lol

And c/s Hustle. The production quality and the setting of the show were all top notch IMO. The only problem with it is that it got slightly long winded it seemed like it was just hustle after hustle each week without much going on in a continuing storyline. Still one of the best UK shows I have watched in a long time.

True, the 1st few seasons of Hustle were sick, even this seasons was okay, think its run its course.

Wont even comment on the season with Asher D in it

yeah @ brisco

/

season 1 of spooks was alright/good

lol @ sunsent beach was talking about this the other day, bare ridiculous storylines (lol @ ben and his evil twin who are never shown in the same frame) and buff chicks

kinda off topic but deadliest warrior is sick (not the end only the destroying human torso's etc)

Guest Intervention

Dr. Who is some kitch ting anyway

Rome was a brilliant show

Wasn't ever shown on here on terrestrial though was it?

Got both season dvds anyhow

@ No Sunshine

because....women would be bringing you food after watching the show...right?

Rome was on BBC2

Oh seen never knew that

i tried to watch one of the "revamped" new episodes, was appalling tbh

Basically.

Just like all "constant" soaps that were dope in the 80s/90s, they are now sh*t and can't compete with The Wire / The Shield / NCIS

Will the UK EVER produce a show like one of those or does the British public lack the imagination to ever become engaged in such a show made on British shores?

I know its not a problem with the writers because many of the top US dramas are written by British writers. Could you imagine LOST (I know not police-related)being made by a UK team? sh*t would end up like f*ck*ng PRIMEVAL or something.

Look at the UKs top version of a drama

DR WHO

say no more.

Does quite well in the US TBH

Rome is another show that done well in the US

Just cant compete with the US guys, I mean they had 24 we had Spooks.

Hustle is/was the best IMO the UK had, fresh, new different

BBC america hasnt got big ratings. Dr who doesnt do well in the US,

and ROME was a HBO/BBC collaboration

the bill should die the death it deserves. one can only cry when you watch the bill and then watch stuff like the shield, law and order, etc.

the best UK produced tv drama was the messiah imo. everything else has been pants

the bill should die the death it deserves. one can only cry when you watch the bill and then watch stuff like the shield, law and order, etc.

the best UK produced tv drama was the messiah imo. everything else has been pants

Because its not a American brand... It cant compete.

The Bill lost touch with soceity change. Its been around since the 80s on ITV so its understandable.

Because its not a American brand... It cant compete.

The Bill lost touch with soceity change. Its been around since the 80s on ITV so its understandable.

and bcos it shows sh*t like eastenders

24 isn't a benchmark for a good show.

For what genre it comes under don't and fail to see any better than it TBH

24 > certain films

lol I don't know what films you're watching.

24 is predictable, unrealistic and steeped in too much 'America to save the day' bullshit. I watched it for a few seasons but they just rehash the same thing over and over.

24 isn't a benchmark for a good show.

For what genre it comes under don't and fail to see any better than it TBH

24 > certain films

lol I don't know what films you're watching.

24 is predictable, unrealistic and steeped in too much 'America to save the day' bullshit. I watched it for a few seasons but they just rehash the same thing over and over.

get me

the show is overly basic

people seriously over-hype it

24 evolved fairly quickly into a cartoonish version of itself, when they embraced the Jack Bauer/Superman hype and it became like an extended action film, each storyline more elaborately doomsdayish than the last.

But when the 1st series dropped it was unlike anything else that had ever been done. Ridiculous pacing, tension, action, intrigue. It was an unusual concept, incredibly absorbing and had new storytelling techniques which instantly became iconic. Set a new standard for any drama with an action/thriller slant (and even forced action films themselves to up their games), and was essential TV for the first 3 or 4 seasons.

And the reason high-end British dramas pale in comparison to American industry is indeed, a funding issue. There's nothing wrong with writers, why do you think concepts and ideas (and writers) keep getting poached from UK television for US versions? There's just not money available to produce a high-budget drama to those standards here. British equivalents are lower-budget shows which trade on their stories and script (Hustle, Spooks, State of Play).

United States of Advertising prices are huge, as is the country, so hence bigger budgets for programming, and their ability to sell their products SUCCESSFULLY in other countries also effects the chances of them countries producing a similar programme.

Think of how much the main cast members of some US programmes are on, and its more than a whole series budget of a LOT of programmes produced here.