Lewis Hamilton "I was getting some practice in"

TF S4DK

F1 ace Lewis Hamilton has been caught driving recklessly and had his car impounded by Australian Police, it was revealed today.

The McLaren driver allegedly spun his silver Mercedes along a road in Melbourne — in front of a police van that pulled him over.

The Victoria Police divisional van's driver saw Hamilton turn into the street with smoking wheels, it was said.

The former world champion today apologised for his "over-exuberant" driving.

In a statement he said: "This evening, I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police.

"What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it."

He will now be charged with improper use of a vehicle.

The sports car was towed to a police garage where it will be held for 48 hours under reckless driving laws.

Senior Constable Scott Woodford said the 2008 world champion stopped right away and was cooperative.

He said: "It would have been fair to say he was fairly disappointed with the incident."

Hamilton was interviewed for around half an hour in his car, and would have been routinely breath-tested.

The ace, who was said to be visibly upset, will also receive a fine.

It is understood he told policemen at the scene that he was worried this would dent his reputation.

The Herald Sun newspaper, in Australia, reported that he was not taken back to the police station for questioning.

The incident happened at around 9.15pm today Australian time (10.15am GMT).

In 2007, Hamilton was banned from driving in France after being clocked driving at 123mph (200kmh).

He was given an on-the-spot fine and his sports car was impounded by French police.

The star is due to race at Albert Park Melbourne in the Australian Grand Prix this weekend.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2908923/Lewis-Hamilton-caught-reckless-driving.html#ixzz0jIGJBPFF