Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Planet

"The more siblings you have the less pressure there is to suceed"

33 posts in this topic

Is this a universal statement or is is an African/Carrib/Asian affair?

Whiteys don't be afraid to contribute too

I'm an only child and I've achieved f*ck all :lol:

You actually find a lot of actors, sports people, business people and singers come from massive families and they're often the eldest or youngest

agreed with the eldest being more ODT

but in my house the siblings try to out do each other

allow being an only child, sum dead house

actually thought in most cases it would be more competative among siblings to out do each other and hence more pressure.

I reckon being an only child and having no xbox would be absolutely awful, worse than any torture, worse than any concentration camp or anything

this statement is so true

as im the only son, and the youngesst child of 2 the amount of pressure i have on my head. is not even like i can fly of and leave mumsie as she always says 'im the man in her life'.

when she told me this i lost all hope for her as im the most unreliable guy in the world.

Im the youngest of 4, one of which passed away.

But I'd disagree there was more pressure on me to succeed.

the more sibglings, the more people to measure up to / compete with

They dont call it sibling rivalry for no reason :/

bullshit

if anything i'm being used as an example not only for my siblings but for my cousins and stepcousins aswell

the geordies are officially promoted btw

Being the OLDEST brings more pressure TBH.

im an only child and ye i think there is a bit more pressure to achieve. to an extent anyways. obviously cos your the only descendant so you have to end up in a good place to push your bloodline to the best possible place it can go. But then again i suppose that pressure may be more down yo your own pyschology more so than an actual pressure relayed from your parents and older family members.

im sure a parent would realise that you have to accept your child for what they are and unneccessary pressure in anything will only do so much until its just that, unneccessary.

then again on the otherside of the arguement, competition between siblings can be the most direct motivator and force behind pushing yourself to excel. i suppose it really depends on the individual and their environment, with siblings or not, and their pyscohology.

good thread. :Y:

bollocks imo

if you dont want to succeed then youre a loser in life, irregardless of whether you have siblings

whether you feel the pressure or not depends on the person you are - my elder sibling has done f*ck all in life and theres only 2 of us.

lol@ your finish line positon out of your mums pum determining your success rate.

people will come up with any excuse as a reason for their failure.

the last child never has any pressure, it might feel like o i gta do well like my brothers an sisters but the parents dont put the pressure on imo

theres only 3 of us, i felt pressure because my mum was a tyrant LOL not cos my brother was doin well

aside from the pressure i would have done well anyway really an truly, but there was an immense amount of pressure so i dno

actually thinkin about it my mum did put a of pressure on my sister when it come to 11+ but she didnt have the energy to sustain it

also, from my point of view as the middle one, i dont feel any competition with the other two i jus wanna succeed an break free

all i ever wanted to do

Being the OLDEST brings more pressure TBH.

excl.gif

actually thought in most cases it would be more competative among siblings to out do each other and hence more pressure.

same here. Especially in african families cos aff parent's love to use the one that's doing well as an example, and it doesn't just stop at siblings, it goes through to cousin's.

i very much disagree

when everyone around you is excelling there is an additional pressure to not just do well, but to do as well as yur siblings

but i think a lot of it is to do with u personally anyway

i very much disagree

when everyone around you is excelling there is an additional pressure to not just do well, but to do as well as yur siblings

but i think a lot of it is to do with u personally anyway

i agree with this as well. Even if its not a direct pressure from your parents, there is a subconscious element.

its that theory that if you surround yourself with people who work hard, you are more likely to work hard yourself and even if you arent working as hard as them, you are probably still working hard in comparison to your average joe.

as the oldest son i think ive quite a fair bit of pressure throughout my life

my parents still think im slacking even though ive never been a A class student, never really excelled in a particular subject

so i dont get why theres still put pressure on me

BUT to be fair

over the years theyve become less intense

epically after the weed-gate incident

Dads kinda given up any hope for me

My younger brother gets the most pressure now, which makes sense cus hes actually always goten good grades

my dads worried hell be a f*ck up like me, so he focuses most of his anger and "parental guidance" on him

he made him write out a time table for GCSE revision and sh*t

Your the fella who made the great escape in ur uncles whip innit?

Exiled from home?

don't agree with the original statement in my case.

there is only the two of us but it still gets competitive

im the only son and have lots of older sisters who all compete with each other. i feel less was expected of me tbh. i feel my lack of academic achievement and involvement in criminality has been a source of disappointment and made any money ive earned essentially worthless.