"The more siblings you have the less pressure there is to suceed"

Captain Planet

Guest Esquilax

I reckon being an only child and having no xbox would be absolutely awful, worse than any torture, worse than any concentration camp or anything

im an only child and ye i think there is a bit more pressure to achieve. to an extent anyways. obviously cos your the only descendant so you have to end up in a good place to push your bloodline to the best possible place it can go. But then again i suppose that pressure may be more down yo your own pyschology more so than an actual pressure relayed from your parents and older family members.

im sure a parent would realise that you have to accept your child for what they are and unneccessary pressure in anything will only do so much until its just that, unneccessary.

then again on the otherside of the arguement, competition between siblings can be the most direct motivator and force behind pushing yourself to excel. i suppose it really depends on the individual and their environment, with siblings or not, and their pyscohology.

good thread. :Y:

• Upvote 2

the last child never has any pressure, it might feel like o i gta do well like my brothers an sisters but the parents dont put the pressure on imo

theres only 3 of us, i felt pressure because my mum was a tyrant LOL not cos my brother was doin well

aside from the pressure i would have done well anyway really an truly, but there was an immense amount of pressure so i dno

actually thinkin about it my mum did put a of pressure on my sister when it come to 11+ but she didnt have the energy to sustain it

also, from my point of view as the middle one, i dont feel any competition with the other two i jus wanna succeed an break free

all i ever wanted to do

actually thought in most cases it would be more competative among siblings to out do each other and hence more pressure.

same here. Especially in african families cos aff parent's love to use the one that's doing well as an example, and it doesn't just stop at siblings, it goes through to cousin's.

Guest M12 Part 2

i very much disagree

when everyone around you is excelling there is an additional pressure to not just do well, but to do as well as yur siblings

but i think a lot of it is to do with u personally anyway

i agree with this as well. Even if its not a direct pressure from your parents, there is a subconscious element.

its that theory that if you surround yourself with people who work hard, you are more likely to work hard yourself and even if you arent working as hard as them, you are probably still working hard in comparison to your average joe.

as the oldest son i think ive quite a fair bit of pressure throughout my life

my parents still think im slacking even though ive never been a A class student, never really excelled in a particular subject

so i dont get why theres still put pressure on me

BUT to be fair

over the years theyve become less intense

epically after the weed-gate incident

Dads kinda given up any hope for me

My younger brother gets the most pressure now, which makes sense cus hes actually always goten good grades

my dads worried hell be a f*ck up like me, so he focuses most of his anger and "parental guidance" on him

he made him write out a time table for GCSE revision and sh*t