Quarter-life crisis

Supermalt

think many of u twentysomethings are going through this

* realizing that the pursuits of one's peers are useless

* confronting their own mortality

* watching time slowly take its toll on their parents, only to realize they are next

* insecurity regarding the fact that their actions are meaningless

* insecurity concerning ability to love themselves, let alone another person

* insecurity regarding present accomplishments

* re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships

* lack of friendships or romantic relationships, sexual frustration, and involuntary celibacy

* disappointment with one's job

* nostalgia for university, college, high school or elementary school life

* tendency to hold stronger opinions

* boredom with social interactions

* loss of closeness to high school and college friends

* financially-rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipatedly high cost of living, etc.)

* loneliness, depression and suicide

* desire to have children

* a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you

* frustration with social skills

with me its lack of a proper plan. there are dreams and things i wanna do but ive come to the point were it has to be a reality, not in my head..

• Upvote 3

think many of u twentysomethings are going through this

* realizing that the pursuits of one's peers are useless

* confronting their own mortality

* watching time slowly take its toll on their parents, only to realize they are next

* insecurity regarding the fact that their actions are meaningless

* insecurity concerning ability to love themselves, let alone another person

* insecurity regarding present accomplishments

* re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships

* lack of friendships or romantic relationships, sexual frustration, and involuntary celibacy

* disappointment with one's job

* nostalgia for university, college, high school or elementary school life

* tendency to hold stronger opinions

* boredom with social interactions

* loss of closeness to high school and college friends

* financially-rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipatedly high cost of living, etc.)

* loneliness, depression and suicide

* desire to have children

* a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you

* frustration with social skills

with me its lack of a proper plan. there are dreams and things i wanna do but ive come to the point were it has to be a reality, not in my head..

Yeah the ones in red are some of the things that apply to me, to varying degrees. My main problem is what to do after uni, because I've very little interest in living an office/career lifestyle, but I still want the nice house and car. I just can't see myself enjoying the route that most of my university peers will be taking (graduate schemes, working for big companies etc.) but I know I won't be happy on a low income.

i know it sounds insensitive, but really....what else do you have?

its the ultimate truth. you can only fight depression or you can wallow in it if you like but that wont help.

its all well and good to listen to someone and help them by trying to understand them and hold their hand etc etc....

but thats all passive. the individual needs to actively fight and for a lack of better words, "man up" is appropriate.

if you aint (pyscologically) made of steel the world will chew u up and spit you out.

• Upvote 2

mental stability and inner peace with yourself will help you overcome the burden of most problems and stay relatively ok. you mite not always be extremely happy but you wont fall into depression.

its all a pyscological battle. just gotta mould yourself to overcome or be immune to certain things.

at the moment cos ive got my exams coming up i find myself working for about 10-12 hours a day, so mental conditioning is a big issue ive needed to asses.

• Upvote 1

Its like one of my friends losing a family member and my response to them is like

" times a healer you'll get over it "

/

People aren't computers, man up is not some MOS DOS command that will be accepted by every person.

I don't agree man up phrase is warrented in certain situations more to those above love, but in other aspects about general life it just shows an head up your own anus arrogance

People aren't computers, man up is not some MOS DOS command that will be accepted by every person.

speak for yourself.

im prettry sure in the army they train them to be mentally conditioned bascially like machines. to feel no pain and to execute objectives as efficiently as possible.

99% of the army = Jar Heads

touche.

f*ck it. u lot mite think im up my own arse but i much rather be that then a cowering depressed individual. it mite be all relative and that some peoples hardships im not fully considering because i may have not been in them situations....but concerning all the "life crisis" issues raised, i do think that most if not all of them can be overcome pyscologically. Besides those are f*ckin nothing compared to REAL problems of survival and health.

gettin depressed because your jobs/relationships/other social aspects are sh*t is nothing compared to the people gettin depressed because they dont have a home/food/clean water/family. be greatful for what you have and see the relativeness in your problems.

• Upvote 1

not me brother. in our early 20s we r almost at the peak of our lives. problems, stresses, bereavements and minor insecurities will stalk us til the grave but now is the time when we have the most energy to deal with this sh*t. only thing that should concern u now is maintaining that energy and try not to die in the process

• Upvote 3

not me brother. in our early 20s we r almost at the peak of our lives. problems, stresses, bereavements and minor insecurities will stalk us til the grave but now is the time when we have the most energy to deal with this sh*t. only thing that should concern u now is maintaining that energy and try not to die in the process

strong post

an c/s the man up movement, its all you can do to move onwards an upwards

i had it for a short spell

im happy ive come out of it although i reckon something similar will kick in once i hit 30

I'm just more appreciative of what i currently have and what i have currently acheived. I realise now that i have to greatly work harder to maintain friendships etc It is so easy to neglect things like this as you get sucked up into the routine of proper grown adulthood. I'm guilty of letting things slip but i'm trying to put more effort in these days.

man up approach sounds like ignorance. cant b bothered to read all the posts (lol, the irony) but I think feeling like this aint a bad thing, would get depressed bout some of that sh*t, but when you come out of it it's like being reborn. I realised what's actually important in life, the irrelevance, long term, of some of my pursuits and what I should be focusing on. Realisation that my net worth and success does not depend on how much money i make, but on the wisdom and knowledge I have obtained to pass down through generations, that will go further than any financial aid.

and a few other things

ye co-sign that. sure middle age is dull and you fully got all the responsibilities of an adult, but the transition stage between youth and adulthood is way too uncertain. of course everyone would rather stay young and care free but as the responsibilities start piling up and lifestyle starts shifting you reach a point where you just want it to hurry up and be done with. rather than this slow death of your youth with parts of it lingering, it leaves some people proper confused and some fail to realise that they shud grow up and drag their youth on.