Profession & Salary

Sub_Zero

Morning d*ckheads,

Someone I know was recently looking for a new employee to do admin work. About 50 people applied and he interviewed about 8 of them. One of the questions he asked was how much money do you currently earn? Only two of them said they earnt more than 15,000 a year!

Now this really suprised me, especially considering that nearly all of them had over five years working experience and one of them worked at a law firm on 12,000 a year.

What do you all do and how much do you earn?

Even if you don't wanna tell us how much you're on at least tell us you're profession.

Only problem is 80% of the forum are either students or dont do much

So dont expect a decent response from most

and tbh its another one of those opening post fails. How u gonna expect people to answer your question if you dont answer it yourself?

I didn't want it to come across as a boast, randomly starting a topic and then listing my salary.

I recently became an estate agent sales negotiator on a basic of £14,000, which doesn't include commision or the financial services I offer.

Anyone need housing or accomodation in Coventry send me a PM, I can even budget and help you out with any financial questions.

its not that suprising seeing as people are generally over qualified these days. too many people with experience, skills and qualifications and there are only so many positions and sums of money to be earned. so naturally the "average" changes.

its like tryna climb a ladder to get to the top but then the ladder slides down and the lower rungs are knocked off and higher rungs added. you may have climbed many steps but your not that far off the ground now.

Guest M12 Part 2

i think a lot of people settle as well. They just get grateful they have a job and a steady income and dont wana rock the boat by applying elsewhere,

asking for raises etc.

Im a student but i dont think i will work for anything under 18k tbh

its not that suprising seeing as people are generally over qualified these days. too many people with experience, skills and qualifications and there are only so many positions and sums of money to be earned. so naturally the "average" changes.

its like tryna climb a ladder to get to the top but then the ladder slides down and the lower rungs are knocked off and higher rungs added. you may have climbed many steps but your not that far off the ground now.

yeah that's a great analogy

very depressing though. especially as i've no desire to do a masters, but a 2:1 (fingers crossed) BSc is barely better than A-lvels these days

@ M12, I've the same mentality, but the reality is a LOT of people with GOOD undergraduate degrees end up working for the first 2 or 3 years after their degree (at least) for very little pay. people with a 2:1 in law from top 10 unis go into 12 grand a year jobs which are basically running errands.

Adminstrator for local authority.

I'm an agency worker so I think it's about 16/17k before tax. Feels like I get paid chicken sh*t though. Definitely looking for a new job. Hoping to find an accountancy position so I can build up experience and then elevate further and further.

very depressing though. especially as i've no desire to do a masters, but a 2:1 (fingers crossed) BSc is barely better than A-lvels these days

@ M12, I've the same mentality, but the reality is a LOT of people with GOOD undergraduate degrees end up working for the first 2 or 3 years after their degree (at least) for very little pay. people with a 2:1 in law from top 10 unis go into 12 grand a year jobs which are basically running errands.

What on earth are you talking about

the average pay for a london law firms is like £31,000 a year for the first two years of your training contract, then in the third year when you're actually a lawyer it jumps to around £60,000

outside london the average pay for a training contract is about £22,000.

foreign london based (especially american ones) lawfirms are never lower than £70,000 (the first 2 years are around £40g)

and tbh it doesn't even matter what uni you go to as long as u have a good academic record and score well in interviews and on reasoning tests

honestly dn't knw why u felt to lie like that

EDIT

it just occured to me u were probably referring to law students that go into non-law related work

or maybe even barristers (i dn't knw sh*t about that avenue)

fair enough

the average pay for a london law firms is like £31,000 a year for the first two years of your training contract, then in the third year when you're actually a lawyer it jumps to around £60,000

foreign london based (especially american ones) lawfirms are never lower than £70,000 (the first 2 years are around £40g)

and tbh it doesn't even matter what uni you go to as long as u have a good academic record and score well in interviews and on reasoning tests

EDIT

it just occured to me u were probably referring to law students that go into non-law related work

fair enough

lol yeah exactly

i meant graduates who weren't recruited by/didn't want to work for law firms and trainee barristers (i'm not 100% on how much they get but it's not much at all)

i also should have said "you'll find people with a 2:1 in law"

when it comes to law, getting work at the top law firms it does matter what uni u went to. allow coming with a first from london met thinking you can geta job at norton rose. when they have redbrick uni grads fighting for a place there.

/

last yr i declared i earned 28.800

when it comes to law, getting work at the top law firms it does matter what uni u went to. allow coming with a first from london met thinking you can geta job at norton rose. when they have redbrick uni grads fighting for a place there.

/

last yr i declared i earned 28.800

what redbrick uni is in the top ten?

i thought it went without saying that i meant you don't have to go to one of the best universities, just a good one

but even then i know a girl that went de montford that works in allen and overy (2nd biggest law firm in london)

so i guess for sum it really doesn't matter

EDIT

fair enough

lol yeah exactly

i meant graduates who weren't recruited by/didn't want to work for law firms and trainee barristers (i'm not 100% on how much they get but it's not much at all)

i also should have said you'll find people with a 2:1 in law"

are u mocking me