Ruiz Retires

Mongy

Former world heavyweight champion John Ruiz has announced his retirement from the ring.The 38-year-old American bows out having failed in his attempt to win back the WBA title, which he had held earlier in his career, from David Haye at the start of April.In a professional career spanning 18 years, Ruiz departs with a record of 44 wins - 30 coming by knockout - nine losses, one draw and one no contest.He also holds the distinction of becoming the first world heavyweight champion of Hispanic descent.Proud"I've had a great career but it's time for me to turn the page and start a new chapter of my life," said Ruiz."It's sad that my final fight didn't work out the way I wanted, but, hey, that's boxing."I'm proud of what I've accomplished with two world titles, 12 championship fights, and being the first Latino heavyweight champion of the world."I fought anybody who got in the ring with me and never ducked anyone. Now, I'm looking forward to spending more time with my family."Nicknamed 'The Quiet Man', Ruiz claimed the WBA belt on two separate occasions, the first coming in 2001 when he won a unanimous decision over Evander Holyfield.He twice defended the belt - including a draw with Holyfield in a rematch the same year - before losing it to Roy Jones Jr. in 2003.With Jones then vacating the belt without making a defence, Ruiz regained the WBA title on an interim basis by beating Hasim Rahman in December 2003.He then took full control of the belt in 2004 with victory over Fres Oquendo at Madison Square Garden, New York.He lost it again to James Toney by unanimous decision in April 2005 but the result was rescinded after Toney tested positive for a banned substance.Ruiz therefore retained the belt but he lost it for the final time to Nikolay Valuev eight months later.AwkwardAn awkward opponent with a reputation for jabbing and holding, Ruiz was given one last shot against Haye in Manchester on April 3.Haye sent Ruiz to the canvas four times in the first six rounds before earning a ninth-round stoppage - an outcome the American took as a signal to call it quits.Ruiz said he now plans to move from Las Vegas to his hometown of Boston in order to open a boxing gym in the inner city.He added: "With my experiences in boxing, I want to go home and open a gym where kids will have a place to go, keeping them off of the streets, so they can learn how to box and build character."Someday, I'd like to see one of them go on to represent the United States in the Olympics. I want them to have the same opportunity to see the world that I had as an amateur."I've always tried to be involved in community and charity work in the past and now I'll have more time to work with kids."Source - Sky Sportshttp://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6118201,00.html

*waits for Haye to chat sh*t about "yeah i retired John Ruiz"*
I've just heard John Ruiz has retired. I wish him well in the next chapter of his life. He was, is and will always be a Gallant Warrior.
:lol:David Haye isn't even that guy. He does it for hype but thats about it.